Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thefool1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Garnished my whole check.
    Was wondering if it is legal for IRS to garnish my whole check? How can I live if all they take ALL of my money... I thought they only took a percentage!

I could see them taking half, although that's a lot, but the WHOLE check! I might as well quit my job if that continues to happen!

Someone please help me to understand...
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Uhm, I don't see how the IRS is breaking the law, but it does seem strange that they are taking your whole check.. However, if you quit your job and pay no money back, they can actually sentence you to prison time. You should call the IRS and talk to someone though, they usually garnish only up to 70% of the check..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 07:43 AM
    In fact, even 70% is rather extreme and is applicable only for high-income earners.

BTW, if you quit your job, you will NOT go to prision at the behest of the IRS.

Contact the IRS and see about setting up a payment plan. That should stop the garnishment action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

They Garnished All My Money [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings Everyone, I have been going wild on the net trying to find answers. Hopefully someone can explain how a bank garnishment in Florida can take all of my wages that were directly deposited into my account. The 25% rule applies, I assume, to wage garnishment. But because the funds were in my...

My wages are being garnished! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida, I received a notice from a collection agency, one that has been in existence for 40 years. I was informed that they had recovered an account from a wireless providerthat I had service with from the year 2002. First off, I do not recall having the sercvice during that time, I do...

Garnished account [ 6 Answers ]

Can they garnish all of your joint bank account money even though it is my ex-husband's direct deposit money they took? The judgement was against me. I have a garnishment hearing set for Wednesday. The money they took was his not mine

Can They Get My Salary Garnished [ 3 Answers ]

I moved out of my apartment a month and a half ago after going to court and my ex landlords were awarded 2800.00 in a claim that I was late on my rent. I have a case pending against them in small claims court. I am a single mom and work full time. What payments are required by me in order for them...

Wages Garnished [ 3 Answers ]

Who Much Or Want Percent Can The IRS Take From My Wages

View more questions Search