Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freeman_ou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Social Security & Medicare Taxwes Wrongly Withheld
    Hi,

I am a citizen of INDIA and I came to US in Aug '03 as a student with a F1 visa.

I graduated in Dec '05 and had my OPT started from Jan '06. I got my job in March '06 and I converted my visa from F1 to H1 in Oct '06. So, I am assuming that I still fall under the radar of being exempt from the medicare & social security taxes since I was in OPT from Jan '06 until Sept '06. While looking at my paychecks I notice that the total medicare & social security taxes withheld till Sept '06 was $331.54 and $1,417.62 respectively.

But without being aware of this fact that I am exempt from these two taxes during OPT period, I filed my tax returns for 2006 in Apr '07 and got a refund also. Am I still eligible to file a refund for the wrongly withheld taxes now since its been almost a year I converted my visa status?

If it helps any way, I have a letter from my employer stating that they won't be able to refund any of the wrongly withheld taxes. Is there anything else I would be needing from my employer? Should I file for the whole amount mentioned above or what percentage of the above taxes withheld should I request as a refund and also what are the additional documents needed as a proof?

Please advise.

Thanks a ton in advance.
    Freeman
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 30, 2007, 05:59 AM
    The request for refund for wrongfully withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes is submitted using Form 843.

You WILL need the letter you cite, in addition to other documents associated with your visa status, PLUS a copy of your W-2.

You can find the document list on page 48 of IRS Pub 519.

If you want professional help in filing this refund request, contact me at the email address below ([email protected]).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Social Security & Medicare Withholdings? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I am an F-1 student in my 4th year in the US. I am working under CPT for an off-campus company. The social security and Medicare taxes were withheld from my last month's pay check. So I talked to the company secretary and told her that I should be exempt from those withholdings. I also gave...

Social Security & Medicare Taxes Withheld Wrongly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about getting the refund for Soc Sec & Medicare Taxes which was wrongly withheld. I joined my company in Apr 2006 when I was in OPT and I converted my F1 to H1 in Oct 2006. My company or myself wasn't aware that employees who were in OPT were exempt from paying these two...

401k, medicare & social security taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My case is Jan '06 - May '06 = F1 Jun '06 - Sep '06 = OPT Oct '06 - Dec '06 = H1 I conclude that with this status, I need to file as a non-resident. Now I have been contributing to 401k since Aug '06 so filing as a non-resident I can still keep that tax benefit, right? Also, the social...

Social Security and Medicare not withheld [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on H1B from Jan 03, 2006. I was earlier on F-1 CPT (till Jan 02, 2006) with the same employer. However, for the year 2006, social security and medicare taxes were not with held from my paycheck. My W2 colums in those to categories are blank. Please advice on a way to go forward......

Medicare & Social Security Tax [ 7 Answers ]

Hi ATE: If I want to claim for the Medicare & Social Security Tax during my OPT year (mid 2004 - mid2005) right now, is it possible? The situation is that I'm not a valid alien anymore since I've returned to my country on mid 2005. Thanks, Jesslyn

View more questions Search