Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbeychok Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 12:19 AM
    Cooling tower evaporation, blowdown, makeup and cycles
    Here are the governing relationships for the makeup flow rate, the evaporation and windage losses, the draw-off rate, and the concentration cycles in an evaporative cooling tower system:

M = Make-up water in gal/min
    C = Circulating water in gal/min
    D = Draw-off water in gal/min
    E = Evaporated water in gal/min
    W = Windage loss of water in gal/min
    X = Concentration in ppmw (of any completely soluble salts … usually chlorides)
    XM = Concentration of chlorides in make-up water (M), in ppmw
    XC = Concentration of chlorides in circulating water (C), in ppmw
    Cycles = Cycles of concentration = XC / XM
    ppmw = parts per million by weight

A water balance around the entire system is:

M = E + D + W

Since the evaporated water (E) has no salts, a chloride balance around the system is:

M (XM) = D (XC) + W (XC) = XC (D + W)

and, therefore:

XC / XM = Cycles = M / (D + W) = M / (M – E) = 1 + {E / (D + W)}

From a simplified heat balance around the cooling tower:

(E) = (C) (ΔT) (cp) / HV

where:
    HV = latent heat of vaporization of water = ca. 1,000 Btu/pound
    ΔT = temperature difference from tower top to tower bottom, in °F
    cp = specific heat of water = 1 Btu/pound/°F

Windage losses (W), in the absence of manufacturer's data, may be assumed to be:

W = 0.3 to 1.0 percent of C for a natural draft cooling tower
    W = 0.1 to 0.3 percent of C for an induced draft cooling tower
    W = about 0.01 percent of C if the cooling tower has windage drift eliminators

Concentration cycles in petroleum refinery cooling towers usually range from 3 to 7. In some large power plants, the cooling tower concentration cycles may be much higher.

(Note: Draw-off and blowdown are synonymous. Windage and drift are also synonymous.)

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive in g4 tower [ 2 Answers ]

For no apparent reason the cd tray on my Mac G4 (about 3 years old) suddendly came out as if to eject a cd. I have tried pushing it back in, but it immediately comes out again, no matter whether there is a cd in it or not. When there is a cd in the tray, the computer does not read it before it...

Where do you buy your makeup? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this site and I am trying to get stores to sell my fiance's aunt's new makeup line called about face by Pamela John. It is a mineral-based makeup line. The question I have for you all is where do you normally buy your makeup products? (department store, salon, independent...

Makeup Combustion Air for furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have just finished my basement and my furnace is now in a room about 20 x 20. I had installed double doors (solid not vented) to enter the room which is also being used for storage. My question is do I need to add some kind of makeup air for combustion by installing a grill in the wall? ...

Mineral Makeup? [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently heard about this. What do you know about it and what brands are best? Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.