Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    just me 45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Staue of limitations on debts in Idaho
    I have a collection agency after me for medical debts incured in 1990's while married
    Husbnd said he would be responsible for medical till he retired. Which was last yr. is there a yr. limitation in my favor
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Hello just:

The debt itself never expires. There IS, however, a statute that will prevent them from suing you. It's probably passed. They can attempt any other means to collect.

You can stop them. Write them a cease and desist letter like the one below:

-----------------------

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, YOU ARE HEREBY ORDERED to CEASE AND DESIST your collection efforts. Any further contact by you, as well as any negative report made by you to any credit bureau, is a violation of the aforementioned act and will be reported to Federal Trade Commission. Violation of this act is punishable by fines of up to $1,000 per day.

VIOLATE it at your peril.

Sincerely,

excon
    littlebit870 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
    I know this is an older post but I felt that I could offer some useful information not to only just me 45 but others who may read this post.

Idaho Statutes of Limitation

Breach of contract for sale under the UCC: 4 years.

Written contract or liability: 5 years.

Contract or liability that is not written: 4 years. NOTE: The time period begins as of the date of the last item, typically a payment or a charge under a credit card agreement. A written acknowledgement or new promise signed by the debtor is sufficient evidence to cause the relevant statute of limitations to begin running anew. Any payment of principal or interest is equivalent to a new promise in writing to pay the residue of the debt.

Judgments: 5 years but may be renewed for another five-year period. NOTE: An independent action on a judgment of any court of the United States must be brought within 6 years.
    [ Per excon's answer] :)

The time limitation for the commencement of any action is tolled during the time of a person's absence from the state or during the time that an action is stayed by injunction or by statutory prohibition action.

I live in Arkansas there is a 2 year limitation on any medical bills. I highly recommend the following site for anyone having to deal with collection agencies.
    Bud Hibbs Helps America Hold Debt Collectors to the Law!
    Bud really helped me understand my rights. He really is a knowledgeable advocate for consumers rights in this area. He has reports on all the collections agencies. The information offered on this site will open yours eyes to so much. I do know you should never agree to pay them anything until you do understand your rights.

littlebit870

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are Idaho tenants rights when homeowner wants to sell [ 2 Answers ]

Our homeowner has listed our rented home. Am I forced to show my home and my things to anyone and everyone who wants to see it? Can I refuse without being sued?:mad:

Debts [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 34 years I was married to a wonderful loving man. He passed away just 7 weeks ago. Needless to say he left me with a lot of credit card debts. And I mean a lot. My question: Since my name was not on these credit card debts and in fact I did not know about most of them until the...

Rental laws in Idaho [ 3 Answers ]

Currently I'm renting an apartment in Idaho on a month to month basis. I've been here for about three and half years. About 6-months ago they bumped my rent up for the first time. Now they did it again a week ago. They want me to sign up for a longer contract and say if I do they will lower my...

What do I do about debts? [ 2 Answers ]

All of credit cards went to collection and total is 6. Can't pay debt since in school and make too little part time job. Debt range from $78 to many in the thousands (3500). Total credit default debt = 13000. Student loans good standing 40000. What to do? Afraid some collection agency can sue....

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

View more questions Search