Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jess0048 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Lease Renewal
    My husband and I signed a lease in July of 2005. After one year, the lease states that it "renews itself." I spoke with someone who stated that it is illegal to renew a lease for a full year if a new lease is not signed, meaning that when the first year is up, the lease turns from a year lease to a month to month. We were not asked to sign another lease at the end of the first year. Does anyone have any information that will help us get out of the lease without penalty?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Hello jess:

Instead of listening to "someone" even us someone's, go read what the LAW says on the matter. We have a copy right here at the top on a sticky note.

If you find a provision that says specifically that a lease cannot renew itself, then "someone" is right. However, this someone (me) doesn't think you'll find any such provision. Therefore, In my opinion, a lease that renews itself is perfectly legal.

excon
    jess0048 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Thank you for replying to my question in an arrogant manner, after reading your profile, I see no reason for the attitute... I certainly wouldn't be so full of myself if I spend a majority of my life in prison, and was a pastry chef... sounds like a winner to me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease renewal [ 2 Answers ]

If my landlord does not give me the proper notice of the 120 days on the renewal of my lease is it true that I can inform him that I am renewing my lease at the same rental rate and I can also automatically renew it for a two year period since he failed to notify me? I live in New Jersey.

Lease renewal in P.A. [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. A little complicated in Pennsylvania here... I signed a 1 year lease 10/03... in the terms it says "this lease will automatically renew for one year (NOT YEAR TO YEAR) at the end of term"... end of term was 11/1/04.. OK.. so it renewed till 11/30/05 (in the lease I get the...

Lease Renewal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Just had a question regarding renewal of a lease, our lease has been renewed several times on a long detailed form that looks very official (to me) but a friend who lives in the same building got a lease renewed on a handwritten sheet of white paper. Is this a legal document, it was written...

Rental Lease Renewal [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 questions, 1) Is there any limit (any percentage) in hike in the rent on a house rental lease renewal in Florida? 2) Can I claim my security deposit (which is much higher than normal deposit as initially I didn't have rental history/credit history) during lease renewal? 3) Can I...

10 month lease renewal? [ 1 Answers ]

What date does your lease give as the expiration date? Not every lease is for one year. Also, your lease may state that you have to give 60 days notice. If so then the landlord should have told you that your notice period expires on January 31st, rather than the lease itself. Read your lease...

View more questions Search