Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    branall1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Lease - on renewel, landlord just changed old lease
    Hello everyone,

We have lived in this single family home for over a year, and when our lease was up, we elected to re-sign for another year. The first year was problem free in the home, but recently we have had some issues the landlord has needed to address (And has in turned cost her money). I am not happy with the way some of these things were handled, and especially her attitude throughout the entire process. As such, we would like to find a way out of our current lease.

Here is where it gets odd, and I want to know if this would stand up (Looking for some advice here before I contact an attorney).

My wife and I are on the original agreement, and still live together in the house. For the renewal, our landlord just simply crossed out the original termination date and rent amount, and wrote in the new values. She had me (And only me) initial where she made changes and had me sign/date under the original signatures.

My questions are:

Will this hold up? Does this constitute a new agreement? My wife did not sign the new agreement, so do we have any recourse there?

Thank you for your help.

Brandon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Hello Brandon:

Depending on the state you live in, either party to a marriage can encumber the other party. In terms of the law, you are a unit.

I don't think you can break the lease. I don't think hiring an attorney is going to help you. The law is clear on the matter. You can read it yourself. We have a copy right here at the top of this forum on a sticky note.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 02:35 PM
    You may have given your wife a way out but when you initialled the that document you bound yourself to the new agreement. LL and tenants can be stinkers to each from time to time but that doesn't mean you need to walk away. If you did not like her attitude you should not have initialled the new document.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Landlord.same lease? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! This is my first post, so bear with me please. I have lived in the same apartment for 3.5 years in St. Louis MO. A few months ago I told my landlord that I was looking to purchase a home. He told me I couldn't terminate my lease. However, if I allowed him to act as my agent he would...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Landlord not returned Lease [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter signed an apartment lease (in Boston) and paid the 1st month rent & security almost 30 days ago. She has not delivered the last month rent (required) to the landlord until she receives some sort of receipt, acknowledgement of this payment and lease. The landlord refuses to do this...

Lease Agreement Changed? [ 1 Answers ]

When the lease agreement was signed last year, the utilities marked to be paid were gas and electric. The one for water was NOT marked. When I kept getting the water bill I took it to the rental office and kept being told they would handle it. Now the apartment is under new management and the new...

Landlord not following his own LEASE! [ 3 Answers ]

I got the other issues fixed but it states in my lease, that the landlord retains the right to show the house the last month of our lease. Our lease is not up until JUNE 1st. He first called and said he wanted to show the house to "someone", I told him what the lease stated. So then he left a...

View more questions Search