Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    copy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2005, 01:51 PM
    wiring help, one light on, the other gos off...
    hi,

OK here's what I have...

I'm trying to replace a light, now the wires that are under the light are:

3 x red
    3 x black
    1 x earth

now the only way I could get the light to work as it should was by putting 2x red for the live and 1 x red for the neutral. All the blacks linked up doing nothing... (which is the way the old light was)

OK this works, but when I go into the next room and turn the light on, nothing happens... but if I turn the one I just fitted off, it will work as it should...

any ideas on how to wire this proberly?

I have tried using all 3 red as live and all 3 black as neutral (together and one at a time using 9 different combinations) but this did blow the fuse (my trip switch doesn't work for the lights, it just blows the fuse... its always did that tho)

cheers,
    Phil
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2005, 03:36 PM
    OK with two switches, you have what is called a three way system. And it seems that all the wires from both switches and the other light may junction in this light outlet.

Some wires in the box may need to splice through, going ffrom one switch switch to the other. They all could not have been spliced together. Where are the white wires? Are there any? There should be.

Following is a link with a decent diagram to help you. All I can offer is for you to trace out, ring out each wire, and make a sketch of each wire to each box, and see if you can figue this out.

If you can, trace out and draw a skecthc and post back here for us to help.

http://www.forteelectric.com/3wsw.pdf#search='3%20way%20switch%20diagram'

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/TEMP/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/img]
    Three way switch systems are esy when you know where each wire goes, You now have a nightmare on your hands. See if you can figure out for yourself or get back here with a sketch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light wiring? [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased two ceiling lights at Home Depot and when I got them home I noticed a warning on the box that said " use supply wire rated at 90 C, most homes built before 1985 use 60 C wire". My home was built in 1971. How do I tell if my wiring is okay. I checked the wire sheathing and the...

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

Wiring a Ceiling Fan (w/light) [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and I'm installing ceiling fans. I've installed 4 other ceiling fans with no issues and on my last one I'm scratching my head. For each fan I'm installing a switch with a separate fan and light controller on the wall (side by side sliders). There are 3 wires on...

Trouble wiring ceiling fan to light! [ 2 Answers ]

Novice here.. But I've done this before but can't get it rite this time.. URG... Have to replace the chain on ceiling fan.. fan works fine but no lite.. removed old chain but can't seem to get wires wired rite and can't get the lites to work.. The white wires are all set but don't know which of...

Wiring a light switch [ 2 Answers ]

The light currently just has a pull cord and I want a simple wall switch instead. The power runs to the light from the other side of the room. Do I just need to run a wire from the switch to the light and tie it in or have the power come to the switch first and then to the light? How does it tie...

View more questions Search