Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murphy55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Hi I can't find \etc\hosts in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ and AGV keeps telling me it has a reading error in this line. All the forums I have been to tell me to open the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts folder and edit it to... but it isn't there how do I reinstall this folder(\etc\host) and is it needed or am I justing worrying for nothing.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
    The C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder usually contains a few files that specify some network mappings. Not sure how your went missing though..?

Just create the etc folder and a host file yourself. The HOSTS file is just a text file, and by default only contains one line of actual code:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Hopefully that's all you need to rid yourself of the error.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus in Hosts File inside Windows System32 folder [ 25 Answers ]

I have a virus in C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I'm using AVG free edition. I've put the file in the virus vault, it says it's possible to heal the file except that there isn't enough info to do so. Any ideas of what I should do?

System32driversetc [ 1 Answers ]

I have idenwebjal it is a cell phone program and when I try to open it it says cannot retrive information from server. I somehow lost system32\drivers\etc can anyone help?

How do I open c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find it, and I need to. Does anyone know where its located?:confused:

Hp pavilion recovery<windows root>system32hal.dll [ 1 Answers ]

I made a mistake of not burning my recovery disks out of the system. Now I have a problem with the system and it is showing this error that Windows could not start because the following file is missing System32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file. Could you please assist so I...

C:windowssystem32gvdcgfc.dll- error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Whenever I boot up my system following error dialogbox comes up "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\gvdcgfc.dll The specified Module Could not be found" Only one OK button is there. But noting wrong I found afterwards.

View more questions Search