Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michele8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 05:01 PM
    I don't want the house
    My 26 year old son and I inherited the house after my husband passed away. My son is not responsible and will not pay the mortgage due. I have been doing this by myself and can't do it any longer. I don't want the house to go into foreclosure as it will ruin my credit. I want to sell the house but my son is giving me a hard time. What do I do? He lives there and I do not as my husband and I separated about 10 years ago. Not legally though. So, I am paying the mortgage each month and would like to recoup the payments I have been making when the house sells. If my son refuses to sell the house what can I do? Thank you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Since you and he both inherited the house you need to tell him that if he can't be responsible to pay his share then he can't expect you to be either. Tell him you aren't going to pay any more so what is he going to do when he has to pay rent on his own somewhere else.
    He needs a wake up call that he can't have a free ride forever, somehow.
    He needs to think of alternatives and what his options are like getting a room mate and actually splitting the payments and so forth.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 05:20 PM
    I'm pretty sure that you can file a partition lawsuit to force the sale. However, this is the kind of thing that it might be good to talk to a lawyer about. You don't want to be in the middle of negotiating a sale and have issues come up.
    jlperdue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michele8
    My 26 year old son and I inherited the house after my husband passed away. My son is not responsible and will not pay the mortgage due. I have been doing this by myself and can't do it any longer. I dont want the house to go into foreclosure as it will ruin my credit. I want to sell the house but my son is giving me a hard time. What do I do? He lives there and I do not as my husband and I seperated about 10 years ago. Not legally though. So, I am paying the mortgage each month and would like to recoup the payments I have been making when the house sells. If my son refuses to sell the house what can I do? Thank you
    Just curious, where is the house? I do some real estate investing in many parts of the country and can pay cash, closing in about 30 days. Let me do some research and see what I come up with regarding your situation.

Thanks,
    Jack
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Who is listed on the Mortgage?
    Who is listed on the Title?

You need to understand what your legal rights and obligations are first.

If you are responsible for the mortgage you shouldn't let it go to foreclosure (bad for you're credit).

Who is paying for the utilities?
    What state is the house located in?

Sounds more like you need to kick your son in the backside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House trained dog pooping in house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house trained dog that is allowed to have full access to our home at all times and come and go through his dog door when he needs to pee or poo. We have not had a problem with him going in the house before, but recently at night he has been pooping and peeing in the same spot. He still...

2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing...

A cat moving from house to house [ 1 Answers ]

My parents are divorced and I want a cat. Most cats don't like moving but they would be moving to a different house every week. They wouldn't stay at the same house. What cat should I get?

Could ghosts jump from house to house? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking to purchase a lot and build a new house. I "googled" the name of the road where the lot is to and 10 web links came up for that road being one of the most haunted places in CT. It reads that there is a "white lady" that is in one of the houses on the road. She is not a mean...

View more questions Search