Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2005, 02:18 AM
    Sm56 internal motorola dial up modem
    Just purchased a new PC with a motorola sm 56 internal dial up modem there are 3 accounts on the PC .the first person to open the internet conn is fine but if that person logs off and leaves the net conn open for another account user to use when they log on its telling them the net is connected but when they go to browse it says can't find server. Then when they try to disconnect it hangs for ages.has anyone had similar problems with this type of modem,basically can't share net conn over different accounts have to re dial for each account user and we are all administrators :confused: :confused:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2005, 05:25 AM
    I'm not sure if this is the modem - it could be a Windows thing. What version do you have? If you have XP, is it possible you could check something for me.

• Click on Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections
    • Right click on whatever connection shown is for the internet
    • Click on the sharing tab
    • Are the two checkboxes shown in the "Internet Connection Sharing" area checked?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 8, 2005, 06:34 AM
    A couple of issues here, I assume you are using XP. When you say 3 account do you mean 3 users defined to XP or 3 dialup accounts with your ISP. If you are using Switch User to change XP Users account it might not hold the Internet connection.

I would check with your ISP about this. They may have more info on allowing you to switch XP users and maintain an open connection.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Internal Modem
    Hi,
    Using a search engine finding info for your particular internal modem yielded tons and tons of information; with modem strings to try, other things to try.
    I would highly suggest calling the HelpDesk, or TechSupport, for your computer, and talk with a Tech about the modem. Tell them the problem, and see if they already have a fast solution to it.
    I am not completely sure, but it does sound like the modem needs some attention itself, and not the windows operating system.
    It might save you some time in calling your computer manufacturer Tech Support.
    I do wish you good luck.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 8, 2005, 10:55 AM
    As Scott has already posted, user switch it keeping the connection open for the FIRST user that logged in.

To make sure this doesn't happen, the easist way is to disconnect before the switch and reconnect with the new user.

A better way would be to install Broadband with a router, then who ever logs in can access the internet without any problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internal repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I am a bookkeeper in a repair shop the employs vehicles that make road repairs. In this instance though, the vehicle needing the repair is our own. We just switched computer systems recently, and this new system requires us to create a full invoice for this kind of transaction. Prior to this,...

SM56 Motorola Internal Modem [ 4 Answers ]

I have installed a modem of unknown brand with a motorolla sm56 chip onto a windows xp computer. It refuses to work properly and comes up with the error "The Device Cannot Start (Error Code 10)". I have tried every different driver I can find for the chip but nothing makes any difference. I have...

Dial up connection [ 2 Answers ]

Aoa, I have dial up connection to internet.I can not listen phone calls during internet usage. I want to know that am I called by phone during my web browsing? Is there any program available to know about which Tel Phone calls are coming my during web browsing? Thank you

Dial up box [ 3 Answers ]

When I log on to widnows (WIN ME) the internet connection box opens as well. I don't know why but it's not a pain because I usually do want to connect to the net. BUT.. sometimes I don't want to go on the net so I cancel or close the box. Then after say 5 or 10 minutes it appears again. It mostly...

View more questions Search