Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gymnastic-Sam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Gymnastics conditioning
    Hi I am a 16 year old girl and used to do some recreational gymnastics from 10-13. I live in England. I was very flexible but not strong enough to do well. Recently, I have become interested in doing the sport again (I am a recreation coach) and need some advice. I want to get really good at gymnastics and am prepared to work hard. Unfortunately due to school etc I can't join a club at the moment, but hope definitely to partcipate in uni gymnastics in 2yrs. I was hoping for a list of nightly conditioning exercises. I haven't done gymnastics for a while so exercises that I can build upon e.g. sit ups would be better. I would also be grateful for some flexibility advice. I particularly beed to build up both strength and fleibility in my back but don't know how. I need to improve my whole body flexibility as well tough, so need some drills to do. I have no real equipment other than some ankle/wrist weights and floor space. If I work really hard, considering my age, how good could I get and how long would it take?
    Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Practice walking on hands is cheap and tough, and fun. Unicycles are good practice and good for Balance, if you could get a set of Rings hanging from a tree, good exercise.
    A set of Parallell Bars, portable, could be wood or metal, and at Ground level, then Tape. Allow you to practice on hands. I used to like sitting down in Lotus Position, swing legs through and up to a handstand. Don't remember how long it took. Had to fail Many times first, as with the unicycle. I am 50 now and still ride a 6' Unicycle.
    Also, any chance you get at a swimming Pool with Diving Board, Practice front and back Flips. Good Luck. Stretch, Take Care
    besse123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Hello,
    I am a physical therapist and very impressed with your question. You are aware that your body needs to be in condition first, before you begin sport specific training. You can accomplish this by yourself without much equipment. I am also thrilled that you know you need a strong back. The muscles between your shoulder blades are another group that are essential for control and often neglected. Check out my website, kathytoomanpt.com. I developed a booklet that is exactly what you need. Good luck.
    Kathy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with gymnastics [ 3 Answers ]

Dear people reading this, I have some questions about gymnastics.I'm just starting and I need help on how to prepare myself for cartwheels,roundoffs and backhandspring before going to a teacher.Pleeezzzzzzzzzz help me Love addy

Male gymnastics [ 2 Answers ]

What do male gymnastis wear to keep their penis in place while they preform?

Too Old for Gymnastics? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16, to turn 17 in a couple of weeks. I took gymnastics for about 3 years a long time ago (when I was 10-13 years old) and then quit. I was wondering if there was any chance of me being able to go back to the sport.. or is it too late?

Gymnastics [ 4 Answers ]

How many girls age 13 will compete Level 7 in California this season?

View more questions Search