Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zheem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Riding mower backfires when I try to start it
    My 17.5 Briggs and stratton riding-mower motor backfires when I try to start it. It sounds about like a 20 gauge shotgun every few seconds. Why do I feel there's something wrong? And what can I do about it? Asks Zheem... :confused:
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Your flywheel key is sheared.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Riding mower won't start [ 13 Answers ]

Driving along and it died, won't restart. Engine turns over, fire is getting to the spark plug, but won't kick in. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this problem. I hate to take it to the shop, feel like it is a simple problem. It has gas, the plug is new, and has oil. Susan:confused:

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My John Deere riding mower won't start. I replaced the battery and it started. I turned off the tractor and tried to start again and it failed. How can one tell if the problem is the starter or the solenoid? :)

My riding mower will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have basically given it a tune up... I have change the gas filter, changed the spark plug and the air filter doesn't appear to need to be changed. The battery turns over real good but it will not start, it appears to not be getting gas. Also I checked the fuse and it appears to be okay also. ...

Craftsman riding mower does not start [ 1 Answers ]

My Craftsman started, but died after riding it a short distance and then it would not start again. Neighbor tried the battery from my mower into his and his did not start, which led me to believe that it was a dead battery, but when we tried the neighbor's battery in my mower the it still did not...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I started the mower, MTD Yardman 17.5 hp B&S, cut the lawn and put it away. I tried to start it a couple days later and it wouldn't start. I did not even get a "click" from the starter solenoid. I was able to jump start it with a portable jump pack. After turning it off it would not start. I...

View more questions Search