Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bertaanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Parental Rights were taken away against the fathers wishes
    My son spent some time in prison 3 years ago and while he was in his daughters mother went to court and had his parental rights taken away. This is not something my son wanted but the mother served him knowing full well he would not be able to appear in court at the appropriate time. Once my son got out of prison my granddaughters mother went to the District attorney in San Bernardino county California and opened a case for child support. Is this legal for her to do since she had the rights terminated?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 11:48 PM
    I'm guessing they wouldn't have let her do it if it wasn't illegal. I guess unfortunately that's one of the things that happens when you get sent to prison.
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 27, 2007, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bertaanne
    My son spent some time in prison 3 years ago and while he was in his daughters mother went to court and had his parental rights taken away. This is not something my son wanted but the mother served him knowing full well he would not be able to appear in court at the appropriate time. Once my son got out of prison my granddaughters mother went to the District attorney in San Bernardino county California and opened a case for child support. Is this legal for her to do since she had the rights terminated?
    Parental rights being terminated does not terminate parental responsibility.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Hello bert:

Yes, he is obligated to pay support.

However, if I were him, I'd try to recind the order that removed his rights. I'll bet he can do that easily. Then, of course, he can be part of his child's life.

Certainly, he needs an attorney.

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Yes it is legal for her to do this. It's actually surprising that any judge would've just taken his rights away completely, even if he was incarcerated. He should go to court and file a motion to get his rights reinstated. He'd probably have to settle for a gradual, phasing-in process. However, unless the mother was able to prove that your son is a clear and present danger to the child (and he really couldn't be while he was in prison), his rights should have never been revoked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

What sort of rights does an absentee father have? I am almost due to give birth and the father of my child has not been around for the last 6 months what sort of rights will he have? Really need help!

Fathers rights [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé is divorced and recently found out that two of the children he is paying child support on are not his kids. How would he go about signing away his rights on those two children?

How to sign off fathers parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend wants to sign off his parental rights how do he go about doing this?

Fathers rights [ 3 Answers ]

MY boyfriend will not sign his rights away to his 5 year old son who he hasen't seen in three years because the girl moved to another state and when he was paying child support the girl still wouldn't let him seen his little boy. The girl got married and wants her husband to adopt the little boy so...

Fathers rights PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend he is supporting her, her son from a previous relationship and now their son they have together. He is on the birth certificate and is an active father. He is wanting to take his son to a funeral out of town for a family member, girlfriend is not...

View more questions Search