Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    novia Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2005, 05:30 PM
    Lab Puppy won't eat
    I have a 7 month black lab who has stopped eating and energy level is lower than normal. I am very concerned only because she has had a lot of problems in the 4 months I have owned her she has had worms, bladder infection, ear infection, mange, and she just recently got into some of my plastic bowels and almost died because she swallowed very sharp pieces of plastic. Every now and then we give her scraps well more than that at least once a day she has had some kind of human food, do you think that she has just gotten use to that and doesn't think she has to eat her food, because she thinks she will get something better? Please help
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 06:07 PM
    I hate to send you back to the vet, but I don't like the sound of it. Is this since the plastic incident? Plastic doesn't show up on X-rays. She could still be retaining a piece disturbing her digestion. Such incidents are all too common with young Labs. The vets do the best they can, but can miss problems. It could also be one more physical problem.

It would be better to reduce the scraps. The biggest trouble with them is that they can either be too fattening, or unbalance her diet. Even the cheapest dog chows now are carefully formulated to provide a balanced and complete diet. It is very hard to provide a good diet if too much of it is table scraps. I still feel guilty when I take a plate full of pork chop bones and scraps to the garbage with 2 dogs in the house. Still, I know it is best for them to stick to their Pro Plan. It really shouldn't hurt to give her a few tastes, perhaps in her food dish after the meal. Doing so even helps bonding, but strictly limit it. If this problem isn't resolved otherwise, you may have to cut it out completely. First the vet check.

One other thing, if she hasn't been spayed, she could be coming into season. I have read in books that that can reduce a dogs appetite. The 9 or so female Labs I have had go through their first season didn't read those books, but each dog is different. Almost any behavior is possible, but more than anything, expect creative, strenuous attempts to get loose and get to a male. One of the first physical signs is the swelling of the vulva.

Nov 8, 2005, 02:59 PM
    Labman
    My lab has eaten twice since my last post do you think she still needs to see the vet? I made appt. but she can't get in till Thursday should I just wait to see how she does? I also wanted to say thank you for your advise you seem like a very wise man and I am sure I will have many more ? For you in the future about my puppy.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2005, 04:50 PM
    It is possible she got into something that upset her stomach temporarily. Keep an eye on her. Don't let it drag into the weekend and get stuck paying emergency rates.

Most human food does no more than unbalance a dogs diet. You do know to avoid the well know problems chocolate and onions? At a talk last summer I found out some dogs are very sensitive to even small amounts of grapes or raisins. Sugar free gum containing Xylitol stimulates their insulin production and their blood sugar tanks.

Come back. I feel helping others make life better for their dogs, and it is a way to pay back some of the fine people that helped me when I was lower on the learning curve. Thank for the kind words.

Nov 8, 2005, 09:57 PM
    Labman
    This is completely off the subject but I have been trying to teach nova how to roll over and speak and she just doesn't seem to get it do you have any advise on how to get the ball rolling on the tricks?
    Also in one of the threads I read someone mentioned rawhides not being safe for dogs, is this true and if so why. I am always buying them for nova and she loves them. And one more thing and I swear I am done for today... I am also wondering when it is a good time to swith her over to adult food because the bags say adults over 18 months and she is only 7 months. Thank you for your time. Great help, so glade I found this site.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2005, 10:49 PM
    I never do roll over. You might find a book that helped. Otherwise, try giving the command, rolling her over, and praising her. She may pick it up.

Dogs have choked to death on rawhides. They can tear off a chunk that then swells and either blocks the air passage or the digestive tract. I am not sure how many dogs it happens to, but it would be very difficult if yours was one of them. I base this not on limited experience of any one person, but on what a large dog guide school with thousands of dogs in their care tells us. I don't do comsumable chews either.

Now. When the bag of puppy food starts getting low, start mixing in a little adult, until in about a week, it is all adult food. Again, this is how the dog guide school does it. Nobody has more data on raising large breeds and incentive to pass the straight info on to their volunteers.

Nov 15, 2005, 09:38 AM
    Nova went to the vet and we found out that she is completely healthy, he said that she must have had an infection from her obstruction that was causing her to not want to eat but the infection is gone now and she eating again. This is the first time since I have owned her that she has been completely healthy.
    I am really having a hard time finding toys for her to play with, anything that I buy for her she rips to shreds within the hour of getting it and then I have to dump them because I am scared she will swallow pieces of it and gets sick. Are their any toys that are good for labs to play with, something that she won't have destroyed before the day is over?
    Doberman. Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Hi

I got a Domberman n got the same problem, don't worry easy fixed!
    Get toys that are made of rope "colourful stuff" or get a kong there well good should have them in a pet shop or your vets, try to avoid buying soft toys they won't last a minute!
    Or get a big bone one made for your type of dog and make sure you get the right size.
    Like I said try to avoid soft toys or entertaining your dog will cost you a bomb!
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2005, 11:25 AM
    The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 Week Old Puppy won't eat! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello- I was at a flea market last Sat. and an individual there had a box full of puppies, Apparently different breeds and different ages- he professed the age of the puppy I acquired was 5 weeks old, along with his siblings which were about twice the size of this apparent runt. The person was...

My beagle puppy won't eat... [ 7 Answers ]

I've pretty much had my puppy since he was borned and he just been under my care for two weeks now. Im worried because he hasn't touch his food all day. He hasn't had a bite since the day before yesterday. He hasn't been wormed yet but I did gave him something I picked up at the grocery store.. can...

Puppy won't walk on a leash [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get a puppy to walk on a leash. He is very scared of it. I have attached it to his collar and let him just walk around with it dragging behind but that hasn't helped his "fear" of the leash. He just won't budge. I have tried to give him treats also to get him to walk. STUBBORN! He...

Puppy won't eat [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 seven week old lab puppys, and had them for 2 weeks now but in the last four days one of them isn't been eating his dog food but will try and get whatever I am eating myself I have tried different types of dog food but no change, can anyone help?

Depressed puppy won't do anything [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Just got my 3 month old lab mix today. She is very lazy and depressed. She won't come to me when I stand up, and hardly comes to be with I sit on the floor and call her. I want to know if my dog is depressed, adjusting. I hope she is just going through a phase. But if anyone have any...

View more questions Search