Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ccg1003 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2007, 10:57 PM
    Registered Nurse
    How long does it take to be a registered nurse through a community college? What are the average starting wages for a RN? How much do they usually make a month or an hour?
    Thanks
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
    You can become in RN in about 2 years through a community college (I'm going to start a
    nursing program when I get accepted there =P)

Starting wages are around $16-19 and may increase over time to almost 30 dollars, and you can find jobs where hours are flexible, so you can work about as much or as little as you want.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 07:32 AM
    After you take your prerequisites the RN program is a 2 year program. I graduate in May and I started in 2003.

Starting pay varies from area to area and hospital to hospital. The hospital I will be working at will start me out at $23 an hour as a graduate nurse.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 1, 2007, 03:39 PM
    You guys are lucky! Where I live you can not becaome a RN through community collge, here you have to go to university for 6 years!
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Dec 1, 2007, 10:30 PM
    [QUOTE=J_9]After you take your prerequisites the RN program is a 2 year program. I graduate in May and I started in 2003.

It still adds up to six years of education MJL
    Expert

Dec 2, 2007, 07:57 AM
    [QUOTE=cerisa]
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    After you take your prerequisites the RN program is a 2 year program. I graduate in May and I started in 2003.

It still adds up to six years of education MJL
    Yes, it can. My point was that the actual nursing program itself is only 2 years for an Associates Degree RN. Now for a Bachelor's or Masters, you are looking at around 6+ years.
    OnYxHaWk Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccg1003
    How long does it take to be a registered nurse through a community college? What are the average starting wages for a RN? How much do they usually make a month or an hour?
    Thanks
    Quite a few good questions, but none with an easy direct answer in the current medical climate. But I will try...

- There are two forms of the 'registered nurse'. There is the associates degree which typically takes 2 years at a community college and there is the bachelors degree which typically takes 4 years. Both degrees are considered 'registered nurses (RNs). That being said, if an RN decides to further her education, she would need a bachelors level degree (ie. The 4-year BSN degree), and there are courses to bridge from an associates degree to a BSN.

- There are accelerated programs for both of the degrees mentioned above. Whether they are good or bad is a discussion from a different topic.

- On the job, there is a minor differential in the pay scale of $3-5 depending on location and demand. But hospitals are slowly trying to phase out the associate-level degree, but this will probably take a while since there is a national nursing shortage that doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

- The starting wages for an RN vary. It would depend on where in the US you work. Whether you are an employee of the hospital or a staffing agency? Do you work per-diem (part-time) and/or are you full-time. There is a decent range that you can earn (and I hesitate to quote numbers), but $15 - $45/hr is about average. You earn more working for an agency, working as a travelling nurse, over-time pay, working in medical areas of need, and/or you earn more the more experience you have.

- The hours are typically fairly flexible with typical shifts being 8 - 12 hours. About 36-hour weeks (3 x 12 hr shifts). This enables a nurse to technically be able to have a full-time and a part-time job to make up 48 - 60 hours weeks.

- Staff nurses are typically paid by the hour, though there are salaried positions, and administrative nursing positions are typically salaried.

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Thanks a lot. All of you are very helpful. Especially Onyx. But I live near the bay area (california) in fairfield.

Jan 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
    I live in Fairfield California, which is near the Bay Area. Anyone know the average starting wages? And how long does it usually take to get a raise? And one last thing. How much do you usually get paid for over time? 1.5 times? Or double?
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 04:34 PM
    I don't know anything about your area of the country. Starting wages vary from city to city, and facility to facility... Getting a raise is also very individual for facilities...

Overtime? Now, many, not all, work you on 3 12 hour shifts, giving you 36 hours a week. This means you are working full time 3 days a week. Pretty nice...

Now, others have 8 hour shifts... again depends on the facility.

Hospitals have what is called Shift Diff, which means Shift Differential. People working first shift make less than those that work second. Nurses working second shift make less than those working third shift.

Then you have a pay difference according to the department in which you work for. Many ICUs pay a hazard pay due to the increased risk of infectious organisms, including HIV/AIDS.
    jigar patel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccg1003
    Thanks
    A registered nurse can make minimum 30$ per hour..
    Nursing is in good demand and u can find job easily... u don't have to sit at home and wait for the job...
    Nursing is the booming field in usa and according to surveys up to 2020 there is a shortage of the registered nurses in usa so from the 2nd day of your graduation u can find a job...
    Moreover if u do a MSN then u have a chance in the teaching profession...

jigar patel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Registered Sex offender [ 3 Answers ]

I just registered on this site today, although I have been reading posts on it for years, seems as though every time I type a question into Google the first link that pops up is this website and usually a guy named excon is answering. Years ago I got screwed by an ex fiancé, an over zealous DA,...

Identifying Registered Software CD [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to know whether a MS installation CD has been already registered or not? I have the MS product key.

View more questions Search