Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Shiny Hair
    Are there any home remedies for shiny hair that anyone can suggest?;)
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:14 PM
    I would suggest using olive oil! Buy some extra virgin olive oil. Heat it up in the microwave so it's warm, then massage it into your hair, put on a shower cap, hop in the shower and wash up, while the heat helps it soak in and penetrate. Then after a nice, long shower, remove the shower cap and shampoo it out.
    Vision Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Have you tried it?
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:24 PM
    I haven't because I have naturally oily hair, but a friend of mine swears by it, her hair is thick, frizzy, dry, and not very shiny, so she uses olive oil to help it look healthy and condition it.
    Vision Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    I haven't because I have naturally oily hair, but a friend of mine swears by it, her hair is thick, frizzy, dry, and not very shiny, so she uses olive oil to help it look healthy and condition it.

Hmm... sounds good, I might actually try that! Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Welcome, hope it works for you, it's chemical free at least so if you don't like it, it's at least not going to fry your hair or anything.
    Vision Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
    True... I've tried mayo and also vinegar... NOTHIGN...
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Well it's best to try things that won't cause allergic reactions or permanently damage your hair first for sure!
    YoungGrayHair Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Oct 28, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Have you tried avacados and warm olive oil...
    It really works wonders for shine.My hair is naturally gray and multi colors and before I dyed it , I used this combo for tame and shine.I have used this since I got my hair coloured and it really has helped with the stress on my hair.Leaves it so soft too.

Mash up three avacados and warm about 1/4 cup olive oil combine them and pat all over your hair. I usually started on the ends. This always left my hair shiny and manageable...
    Good Luck
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Rinsing your hair in cool water after shampooing and conditioning also helps with shine. Also, the less product you use in your hair the shinier it will be.
    Vision Expert

Oct 29, 2007, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGrayHair
    Have you tried avacados and warm olive oil...
    It really works wonders for shine.My hair is naturally gray and multi colors and before i dyed it , i used this combo for tame and shine.I have used this since I got my hair coloured and it really has helped with the stress on my hair.Leaves it so soft too.

Mash up three avacados and warm about 1/4 cup olive oil combine them and pat all over your hair. I usually started on the ends. This always left my hair shiny and manageable...
    Good Luck

Thanks for the tip, I will try that... How often do you repeat this... :D
    swethakanna Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Use a lemon or tea rinse. Take juice of a lemon (or) juice of used tealeaves and mix it with water tat you are going to use for rinsing your hair. It will give you shine and leaves your hair clean
    Vision Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by swethakanna
    use a lemon or tea rinse. take juice of a lemon (or) juice of used tealeaves and mix it with water tat you are going to use for rinsing ur hair. it will give u shine and leaves your hair clean

Wouldn't a lemon bleach my hair a bit? I remember that's how I use to get highlights before my mom let me dye my hair..
    Vision Expert

Oct 31, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankrank55
    Rinsing your hair in cool water after shampooing and conditioning also helps with shine. Also, the less product you use in your hair the shinier it will be.

By the time I get out of the shower the water is cold, so yeah, I do that... Never does any good.

Oct 31, 2007, 11:45 PM
    No it won't your not going to apply lemon juice on your hair your going to mix it with a bucket full of water for rinsing your hair at the end. It won't be concentrated to bleach your hair
    Vision Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 12:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by swethakanna
    no it wont ur not gonna apply lemon juice on your hair ur gonna mix it with a bucket full of water for rinsing ur hair at the end. it wont be concentrated to bleach ur hair
    Oh okay..

Nov 1, 2007, 01:22 AM
    U can try this one. Take an egg an remove its yolk separately and do not use it. Apply the white portion on your hair and leave it for an hour later wash with any shampoo of your choice( I prefer hibiscus leaves well grinded becomes a paste that acts as a good conditioner for your hair you can try this) . This gives excellent results
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Jan 25, 2008, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asksabino
    Are we making salad or solving her problem?

Olive oil heated up creates a residue on the hair and can break down the cuticle layer eventually ... true!! Your pushing an oil into the hair shaft and the hair shaft is basically dead. It is a fiber that does not respond but only absorbs or breaks down. The cellular structure does not bond but only temporarily holds product for about 2 to 3 hours before dissipation.

Shiny hair is created naturally only if the hair has been handled properly through its growth. The longer the hair the more the molecular structure breaks down nearer the ends until the hair either breaks or splits.

Hair is at its optimum strength when wet. Try this test ... after you wash your Jeans feel the strength of the fiber and try to pull on it. It stretches and is pliable yet strong. After drying them in your dryer, pull on them again. Note that they will not give, in fact they may shrink a bit. This is what happens to your hair when it is wet and dry.

To attain shine you need to lock in essential moisture (water) (which is the best moisturizer) and when dry, you need to apply heat to close the cuticle. Moisture Block is the only product that is waterproof and locks in essential moisture. Once you dry the hair (if you want it straight) flat iron with the irons highest temp. Watch the shine last for days.

If you dry your hair naturally, apply gel over Moisture Block, twist 1" sections throughout your hair and either diffuse or natural dry. Add Moisture Block when dry for extra protection and lasting shine. Support your cuticle layer don't allow it to do it on its own.
    Are you promoting your product?
    asksabino Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2008, 08:15 AM
    If there is a product that works then why not offer someone the opportunity to try it. Regardless of whose product it is sometimes we get so caught up in what we should and shouldn't do and when something great comes are way we can't see past the trees.

Wisdom always comes with age as does experience but some chose not to use it. Youth is blind until experience has taught them different.

All of these issues about avocado, eggs and such are OK but unfortunately they do not last for any length of time. The molecular structure is too large to penetrate and if the structure was compatible it won't hold. The only way to hold in shine is to use a heat resistant product that adds shine. If the cuticle has been abused or the Cortex layer broken down by losing faded color or using harsh chemicals, the hair shaft will not reflect light properly. The Cortex layer has to be filled with a temp color and the cuticle layer flattened for shine.

Sorry Punk Chic but thems the facts
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Jan 25, 2008, 08:31 AM
    "The only way to hold in shine is to use a heat resistant product that adds shine."
    Sorry but that doesn't make sense.
    The only way for the hair to shine is when the cuticle lies flat and light reflects off the smooth surface which makes it appear shiny. You can do that by using ANY smoothing product like frizz ease serum.

Those are the FACTS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get shiny shiny shoes! [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, my boyfriend recently joined the navy and is having a little trouble making his shoes look extra shiny again evry night, I wondered if anyone out there had any really good tips to shine shoes up good and new? I would be grateful for any help, thanks abbi-melissa x

Hair folical body hair vs hair on head [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have had testing done for a while I tested positive from hair from my head although I did not use. I then tested from my body hair and came back negative. The head hair was 90 to 100 days back and the body test was back almost twelve months. I wish to find out which is the more definitive...

Is it safe to have 3 lots of hair dye in 1month to try and rectify hair disaster? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I posted yesterday, with no replies yet. Basically. I have got long hair which is dark brown (dyed) base and I had bleached blonde panels. I then wanted the panels red which my colourist did and it looiked great but after just 1 wash all the red had practically gone and I was left with...

Small shiny spots on nose [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old boy I have strange shiny spots on my nose They are very small can't be noticed from a distance but looks ugly in close look Please help

Shiny hair [ 2 Answers ]

How can I make my hair really really shiney, without wahing it loads as my colour will fade? X

View more questions Search