Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Harassing phone calls.
    All right, I have been receiving harassing phone calls from the law offices of sam streeter, 713-435-4100.. ( I looked up the number) saying they were the law offices of richard clarke. This group of people apparently buy people's debt, then jack up the prices and harass them/other people until they can contact them and try to sue them, sometimes even over debts that are 20 years old and they basically have no experience or anything in debting law, they are just a sleazeball company trying to make money off people. They ruined my birthday calling and bothering me, even though I have absolutely no debts. I am an adult, and somehow they got my personal phone number (I have NO IDEA how) and are calling about debts my parents owe, treating me like a child and pumping me for information and then telling me they can't tell me what it was about. I gave them no phone numbers to contact my parents but when they called back again threatening me and basically telling me that my mom and dad would be in trouble if I didn't get them to call back that day, saying they'd need an attorney and all this other crap. I'm sick of being harassed, I called them back and told them to stop calling me and harassing me, and they were so rude to me I hung up. I'm an adult, my number is on the do-not-call list, and they have no reason to be calling me except to threaten, harass, and try to get information out of me. I am really sick of it and I was wondering if there's something I can do to make sure they never call again or even get them in trouble, this is bull.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 09:21 PM
    By the way, they called me before, months ago, and now they are calling again, lying about who they are because they didn't get any information last time.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Hello charlotte:

Google the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act". In it you'll find that you can send a collection agency a notice to cease and desist ALL contact. Send them one. Send it certified, return receipt requested.

excon

PS> Here's an example of one I have used in the past.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, YOU ARE HEREBY ORDERED to CEASE AND DESIST your collection efforts. Any further contact by you, as well as any negative report made by you to any credit bureau, is a violation of the aforementioned Act and will be reported to Federal Trade Commission. Violation of this Act is punishable by fines of up to $1,000 per day.

VIOLATE it at your peril.

Sincerely,
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Send them a certified letter, return receipt requested, also a copy by regular mail, reiterating what you've said here about your request that they not call you any more and that your number is on the do-not-call list. If that doesn't stop it, then block their number (you can subscribe to a block call service for a relatively small amount of money) and talk with your own attorney about bringing charges against them.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 12:40 PM
    All right, thank you guys!
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
    I will probably go the post office this week and send a certified letter to them, it can't cost that much. I have to find their actual mailing address though, the problem with these sleazeballs is they lie about who they are so they're hard to find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unwanted phone calls [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been getting some harassing phone calls from my boyfriend's ex I called told her stop calling is there a way to stop this without changing my number? I was going to call the police but now her daughter is harassing me too. Any suggestions please ? Phone help4

Cell phone calls [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to know, how can I trace or stop " private" incoming calls on my cell Thank you

Phone Calls [ 3 Answers ]

:( my husband and I have known the other for a year this past may '07, but we got married feb '07. I found numbers in his wallet and found out he had been calling these two women. He works hard and takes care of our family and I know he loves the hell out of me. We have a very good sex life and...

Unwated phone calls [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have been getting some harassing phone calls from my boyfriend's ex I called told her stop calling is there a way to stop this without changing my number? I was going to call the police but now her daughter is harassing me too. Any suggestions please ? Phone help4

Harassing or annoying calls [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any law against companies, private or public, continuing to make annoying phone calls to your private residence even after you have left messages on their answering machine to stop? Also is there any law dealing with how late in the evening they can call? I have the same company calling...

View more questions Search