Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulaz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2005, 09:37 PM
    Sewage backup--Maybe fixed?
    Hi,

I bought a house (1 story, built in 1957) less than a month ago. It appears that there was some stoppage in the main drain pipe. I believe this to be the case as sewage began to back up into both toilets and both the tub and shower in the two bathrooms a couple days ago. Today I rented one of those professional type snakes from HD. It had an electric motor, was 100' in length, and came with 5 various head attachments. I ran it into the main pipe from the pressure relief cap (after draining buckets of really gross stuff :eek: ) and I got about 30-40' in and hit something, but couldn't get past it. When I pulled it out, a few clumps of unrecognizable material came with it and out went the water that was standing in the bottom of the pipe. I then removed the end cap so I would have a straight shot to the street (its on sewer). I ran the snake in again and it stopped at 30-40'. I fought with it again and didn't get past that point. Then I did it two more times and ran the snake out 80' (I'm about 65' from the street) both times. I then changed the head and went in another time or two with different attachments (because I just couldn't get enough of that wonderful happy fun time). I still kept having a difficult to get past spot, but I wore out after about 6 hours of this. I am hoping that it did the trick, I went in maybe 6 times in total, 2 times all the way to the street. I took a shower afterward and, as you could imagine, needed one more than I can ever recall having needed one in my 28 years of living, and saw no backups. My concern is, could there still be an issue? I am worried there may be roots growing in there or something else around the tough spot. Would root killer for this purpose finish the job if I didn't cut them out completely with the snake? Also, I was a little concerned that only a few smallish clumps of stuff came out, though I may have pushed it through, I got stuff out only the first time I pulled it back. I suppose time will tell, but I am really just wanting someone to tell me that I won't have to do that again, at least not anytime soon.

Thanks,
    Paula
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 03:36 AM
    Now you know why plumbers charge a pretty penny, huh?

Good job! You description sounds like you tackled as well as a professional plumber would have - and saved yourself probably about $300.

Using some root killer can't hurt, that's for sure.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2005, 06:25 AM
    You did all that by yourself Paula? Six hours snaking out a sewer line?
    All I can say is , "you're doing a "heckofajob" Brownie!!" No! Someone's already said that. Any how, like Rick said, Kudos on a job well done!
    You asked about roots. Unless you have a broken pipe most roots enter the sewer line at the city raiser,( where your sewer connects to the city main.
    Let me give you a few tips on root control. For immediate relief and to kill the existing roots and prevent further growth you can purchase RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months. That should take care of your concerns about roots and if you ever need a job I can get you on at Roto- Rooter here in Sarasota. Best wishes, Tom

Nov 7, 2005, 09:41 PM
    More on the topic of root killers
    Yes, outside of getting a hand loading and unloading the snake (that's why they didn't want to hire me at the plumbing shop here), I went about it alone, it just didn't seem right to pull someone else into the mess. It was probably really about 5 hours of actual work, it took an hour or so to get used to working the snake effectively. Also, I am an el cheapo, so I can't stand to shell out the bucks for something I could do.

I am thinking of looking for the copper sulfate which they have at the HD, but where would I get the other stuff, the Rootx or Robics Foaming root killer? A regular home improvement store, or a plumbing supply specialty store? (I'd have to locate one, I don't know where one of those is around Atlanta). One more question, if the pipe going out of the house and underground is steel/iron where it is visible, is it safe to assume it is the same all the way out to the street? Could they be clay pipes grouted together? (I hear these are bad news, but I have no idea about any of this really) Are these more permeable to root growth?

Thanks for all your help!
    Paula
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Good morning Paula,

"I am thinking of looking for the copper sulfate which they have at the HD, but where would I get the other stuff, the Rootx or Robics Foaming root killer?"
    Most hardware stores carry it but it's expensive, (50$ for 2 pounds) I'd stick with copper sulfate.

"One more question, if the pipe going out of the house and underground is steel/iron where it is visible, is it safe to assume it is the same all the way out to the street?"
    Yes, if your sewer starts with cast iron it will be cast iron all the way.

Sure you don't want to move to Sarasota an be a "lady plumber"? Cheers, Tom

Nov 8, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Excellent advice!
    Hi Tom,

Thanks again! I got some copper sulfate this evening after I got your reply. I might take you up on that plumbing gig one day when I finally decide to move to the sunshine state, I do love the beach.

Thanks,
    Paula

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 fixed IO vs traditional 30 yr [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the type of mortagage that is best for me and my wife and saw a 30 yr fixed with an interest only option and am curious to know how they difference and if I am going to be paying more for one as opposed the other. Thanks

Sewage backup [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My basement has flooded 2 times with sewage in the past 5 weeks. Two different plumbing companies cannot determine the problem. Is it possible that the duct tape we put over our spare bathroom's shower stall (we're remodeling and didn't want debris to go down) floor drain 6 weeks ago could...

Fixed or adjustable? [ 5 Answers ]

Help.. I am confused about mortgages. I am refinancing my home.. I currently have a loan that could go negative amorization?. and I want to change that.. I have been told to go with a 30 year fixed because interest rates are at an all time low... but my mortgage brokers says that it smarter to go...

Sewage backup in condo unit on 11th floor [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a new condo on the 11th floor and I've been having plumbing issues for the last few months. The building contractors seem unable to help. Basically, I get sewage discharge coming up through my bathroom sink drain and when I flush the toilet the pipes in the shower make a gurgling or...

View more questions Search