Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CHERIE_LABAT Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Can anything be done to stop a default judgment
    I received a default judgment against my ex-boyfriend on 10/16/07. He still refuses to pay me he offered me $1000. And I refused because the judgment is for $3781. He has the money in his checking account, and he is employed by his buddy. He has done stated that he would quit his job, (he will just be paid in cash instead of check) and that he had no problem paying an attorney 5 times the amount of what he owes me before he gives me a penny of what he owes. Is there anyway he can get away with all this. I've been doing this on my own, I can't afford an attorney. What should I do? What are my rights? I've typed up a suggestion for garnishment and a writ of garnishment to file at the courthouse. His family has the local law bought and paid for, so therefor I'm debating on what to do. I don't have the money to keep paying for all these filing fees. He keeps threating to do bodily harm, and to have me put in jail. Which he has done before and the sad part of it is he cooks dope and the law won't touch him. Something has got to give or change. I can't keep watching my back over him being a sorry piece of sh.
    famlee Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Oct 26, 2007, 11:41 PM
    I'd file for a protective order of custody and file the garnishments. It doesn't matter who knows who, the Judge has to do what the state law says he has to do. If not, I'd suggest contacting a higher court in the state. As for the cooking dope, I'd suggest contacting the state drug task force.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Hello C:

Go to the courthouse and hire the sheriff to execute the judgment.

excon

Nov 4, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Hi, excon

I went to the courthouse and filed my levy against his account this was done Monday a week ago. Do you have a clue as to how long it takes for the levy to be served and when will it be enforced?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHERIE_LABAT
    Hi, Excon

I went to the courthouse and filed my levy against his account this was done Monday a week ago. Do you have a clue as to how long it takes for the levy to be served and when will it be enforced?
    Hello CHERIE:

No, I don't. But, you can talk to the sheriff who's actually DOING the levy.

excon

Nov 4, 2007, 09:15 PM
    HI excon:

Thanks, I'll go to sheriff's dept and see what I can find out.

Nov 9, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Well the bank was served the levy on the 30th. So I guess I just wait to see. Does any one know how long the bank holds it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default Judgment [ 8 Answers ]

In 1996 I bought my son a set of drums. I received financing for the drum set from a financial company. In 1997 I lost my job and could not make the payments and called the company to let them know I had lost my job and could not afford to may payment and that I was moving out of state and let...

How to respond to default judgment [ 12 Answers ]

How does one respond to a motion for a default judgment in a Michigan civil case? The letter from the lawyer says pursuant to MCR 2.602(B)(3), the judgment is submitted for signing if no written objections are filed within seven days. But I find in MCR 2.119 (D)(b): A proposed order is deemed...

Default judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in MA since 8/1998, previously having lived in NY. I just (10/2006) received notification of wage garnishment order (income execution) based on a default judgment for an old debt ($2611). The 'entry date' for the default judgment was July 2003, but this was the first I'd heard about...

View more questions Search