Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jfields Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
    401k to pay down debt?
    I am 32, single, recently divorced, rent and currently have a FT, PT job and enrolled in school. I am about 35-40k in debt, making about 50-60k a year. I have about 10k in a 401k still sitting at a former employer. Right now I am just making minimum payments on my debts. My question is should I suffer the penalties now, pay the taxes and pay down the debt? This would allow me to save more into my current 401k and actually put money away in my savings? Any thoughts? :(
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 01:04 PM
    I have a couple of thoughts. I think you should focus your thinking on these points.

1. Are you a person who has saved in the past? A retirement account is a long term savings account and if you dispose of it, what is the likelihood you will be able to save that $10,000.00 again..
    2. Is the penalty for withdrawing from a retirement account 15%? That is money you "throw away", and in addition, you have to pay taxes on what you withdraw for the income tax year it was received. That could be a substantial amount.

I don't see how you would benefit that much from wiping out your retirement plan. In my opinion it would be better to cancel credit cards and pay down the balances.

Good Luck in the future!
    swapwap Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2007, 03:21 PM
    I agree. I would never, never take a retirement account an wipe it out for unsecured debt. At your income level you ma qualify for bankrupt guidelines. Now a days the bank crooks are selling off debt to their brothers, the DCA (debt collection agencies) and these DCA are filing civil suite in an attempt to get the money. Depending on your stat and the laws you might want to look into what options are available if you should not to pay your CC debt or default on your agreement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Liquidating 401k to pay back-tax debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon. Long story short. I am trying to clean up my credit, and resolve back taxes with the IRS. The interest and fees now higher than my tax debt. I do have a tax attorney that is working with me and the IRS. I want to pay the IRS asap once I know the amount, about $12,000. ...

401K to pay off bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, What are the ramifications of possibly taking a disbursment from my 401K and paying the penalty so I can pay off a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. And if that is a possibility, what happens if I would owe 10k to chapter 13 and get a 30k disbursment and roll the 20k into an IRA. Is that even...

401k to pay taxes? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: Could someone answer a really weird question ? can I use my very small 401k to pay the irs? thanx, mamasu2

401K to pay taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for early withdraw on a 401k to pay a past tax lien?

View more questions Search