Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shempAM Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Good signal, high latency
    I recently purchased a new Asus Wireless LAN PCI card and got it set up fine, it works, and I have internet access. However, when I do some internet activities - gaming/videos - I get a large latency (up to 700 when it used to be 70) and this effect is even worse if I open a program such as ventrilo as well. I get full signal and full connection and the speed is apparently 54Mbps. A friend told me that sometimes wireless cards send information in large clusters rather then a continuous stream, and this can cause lag/timeouts. He advised I attempted to disable something called CheckSumLoad, or similar, and that this would fix the problem. Any ideas about this? Will it work? If so, how do I disable it?
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Oct 26, 2007, 10:01 AM
    You didn't specify what type of wireless router you are using. If using Linksys, there is an option that you can turn on for gaming purposes to allow priority of traffic through your router. Within the Linksys software portal, you'll find Application &Gaming --> QoS.

Two types of Quality of Service features are available, Wired QoS which controls devices plugged in to the router with a Ethernet cable, and Wireless QoS, which control devices that are wirelessly connected to the router.

Suggest you turn on Wireless QoS (a.k.a - Wi-Fi Multimedia TM) to provide you with better throughput.

I've not tried this since I don't use intensive gaming traffic programs. It's worth a shot.

Oct 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Thanks for the response. I use a BT Home-Hub as my router, and there aren't really many options for it. I would like to try changing the QoS, but the only place I've seen this option is in the properties of my 'wireless network connection 6'. One of the listed options there is a QoS packet scheduler, but there are only two options for it, install and uninstall. Does you know if I can change it there, or if not, how I change it with a Home-Hub?
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Oct 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Don't know much about BT-Home but I believe it has the capability to do VOIP. Therefore, it probably has a built in QoS capability already.

However, what may be interesting is your wireless card. Does it support WMM?

If the card that you bought doesn't have the following feature:

• Supports WMM (IEEE 802.11e QoS standard), enhance multi-media support

Then you may not have an adequate card to sustain the high traffic that gaming uses.

Just a thought.

Oct 26, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Hmmm. It may just be the card then :( Does anyone know how you can improve the performance of a wireless card? I don't mind sacrificing signal, since I'm literally in the room directly above the router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else? [ 36 Answers ]

I have a '92 Ranger that won't start it just clicks one time. I thought it was the starter but it is good. I changed the battery terminals and that fixed one problem now it clicks until you turn the key off. I can't figure it out any advise? Thanks.

Jazz shoes. Good or not good fit? [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new pair of jazz shoes the other day for dance. My old jazz shoes were much cheaper (from payless) and fit on my feet just right. Now I just got capezio jazz shoes that are much nicer and have nicer leather and such. But they are tight is this normal? How should jazz shoes fit on your...

No signal [ 1 Answers ]

Turned comp off whilst away overnight and when turned back on got no signal message on monitor. Cecked all obvious things, and this has happened before but usually rights itself, only this time lasted 2 days and still same Any answers please?

No Signal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm fairly familiar with troubleshooting problems on my desktop PC,running on Windows XP, and my PC been running great but for some reason I'm not getting any signal on my monitor, I've connected it to another Pc and the monitor works perfect, yet on mine all the drives are working, keyboard...

View more questions Search