Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
    No, I don't know the difference between jamming and improv. Please tell me.

I just said good night to ayungman. We solved some of his problems and will continue to work on those and others as needed.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2007, 11:53 PM
    I would still like to discuss improvisation at least for a little bit. That is, if I can tear you away from your... obsession, maybe?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    OMG! You're still private messaging! What did they do? Give you a limit of 500 PM's to be stored here?!
    I was deleting like crazy. There are several I'm saving as reminders to watch a two-hour video suggested by excon and to send my caramel brownie recipe to J9. I was careful not to delete those, but fur was flying fast and furious.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 27, 2007, 11:55 PM
    Obsession? What obsession?
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    No, I don't know the difference between jamming and improv. Please tell me.

I just said good night to ayungman. We solved some of his problems and will continue to work on those and others as needed.
    The word "jamming" can be used occasionally for more advanced styles of jazz, also most music in general. But, it's general application is usually reserved and understood to be most appropriate for mutual improvisation that happens in the dixieland style of early jazz.

Improv is almost exclusively used for advanced styles of jazz outside of dixieland and big band styles of music.

Now, I know that I am speaking in terms of someone who is from the MidWestern United States here. There may be differences as to the interpretations of the words depending on where someone else lives.

Just as an aside, the word "combo" is a word devoted almost entirely to the MidWestern United States. You rarely, if ever here it said on the coasts.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Obsession? What obsession?
    I was just commiserating with you. I am no different here!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:06 AM
    I was born in NC and lived there until age ten; I grew up from there in western NY near Lake Ontario. My father is from this very town wher I live now, by coincidence, and my mom is from Idaho. I don't think of myself as a Midwesterner, but I guess, since I've lived here for years, I have become one. I consider myself a NYer. One of my favorite h.s. music teachers was a graduate of Eastman.

Ok, thanks for the explanations of those two terms.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:10 AM
    I got kicked off the Internet for a moment. Happens about the same time every night. Although tonight, it was a little earlier than usual.

Do you know how to do any improvisation musically, that is? I already know that you are great improvising with words!
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:12 AM
    You're wandering again. Maybe we should call you "Wandergirl" instead!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Only "Heart and Soul" with some improv. That's the only "song" I feel "loose" with. I'm a rigid German. Preacher's kid. First born. First daughter. Model child for the community. You know the type.

I was wandering because you called me a &*^%$*&@# Midwesterner.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
    You're wandering again. Maybe we should call you "Wandergirl" instead!
    Ha ha. Very funneeeee.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:18 AM
    How cold is it where you are now? It's 33 degrees here and supposed to get down to 28 degrees this morning.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:21 AM
    It's about that here too. Hmmm, Son Daniel is checking the thermometer. Yes, around 30, he said. If I remember the 10 p.m. weather forecast, it will get colder.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:32 AM
    How old is your son? Do you have other children? If so, how old are they?

I live in a big old house that is very nice! But, paying for the heating can be an enormous problem. I am determined not to turn on the furnace until after Thanksgiving. I have been placing an oil heater in the bedroom in which I have been sleeping.

Right now, the oil heater is out in the garage and turned on, because I thought that I would be working on some things out there. So much for that, tonight!

I have been thinking about starting a thread concerning using electric or oil heaters as opposed to gas in the kind of home situation that I have. Would really like to here from our electrical etc. people concerning that. I mean that I would still use the gas, but maybe electric or oil would be more efficient economically as compared to just using gas. Don't really know...
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Are you done viewing the questions, Carol? By the way, Michelle's back on right now, in case you haven't noticed...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Daniel is 36 and works in a public library six blocks from our house. Jeremy is 32 and works for Lucent. Both are good looking and smart!

I have four cats -- Thomas Jefferson, Rasputin, Boswell, and Little Frida Kahlo (aka Little Debbie).

I suspect you will need the furnace before T'giving, although it IS supposed to warm up next week (the coming-up week).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Are you done viewing the question, Carol?
    I WAS PENNING MY REPLY!
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:45 AM
    I WAS PENNING MY REPLY!!
    I'm sorry, Miss. Writerblock! My humbllest apologies to you, teacher! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:46 AM
    How do you know what I'm doing here? Which hand am I holding up?
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 12:51 AM
    I'm off to get the oil heater out of the garage and place it in the bedroom. Also, to get something to eat and bring it to the computer.

We really need to get on task here as to what this thread is about, you know?

I think that my "Cerebral Drift" is starting to rub off on you, Wondergirl! I would hate to see you plummet to the bottoms of the depths of mire that I am in. It would be such a pity! You're too good of a person to have to endure that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search