Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Nov 7, 2005, 10:24 AM
    Fixing the problem means often know what is wrong
    You overlook that he has the original cd-rom disk.
    The original cd often includes fdisk (and dos) and it is bootable.

If the hard drive is not reformatting or reghosting, matters cannot be made worse, formatting will NEVER work until the partitions are correct! Period.
    If you do not choose the conditions of fdisk the most recent versions of fdisk partition correctly by itself. Just type fdisk c:

What could be wrong:
    1.the laptop could have a battery that is bad.
    Lost hard drive information in setup, so needs to run setup in rom with manufacture hard drive information (cylinders,etc), AFTER having new battery placed in computer.
    2. laptop (hard drive) was dropped, and physically is in need of replacement.
    Go to computer store and have them install another hard drive. (or do yourself)
    3.hard drive lost partition information due to virus, or other temp condition?
    Fdisk c:
    Afterward type
    Format c:
    4. other or unknown problem.
    Pay technical service at computer store to find and fix problem.

I recommend option 4. cheap enough, will work after it is done, maybe they will even find problem was one of the other 3.

You see the fact that it HAD a working partition does not matter! What matters is NOW it won't even allow a reghosting. Before it worked fine, it had a partitioned formatted hard drive, then poof, nothing worked. Fdisk will clear whatever space you need on a hard drive. The person said they think they need more room on the hard drive before it will allow the original software back on. Fdisk will remove all the clutter from the hard drive, and then reformat will clear the hard drive for further use. Fdisk will not care how full the hard drive is now, it will remove all. I still recommend option 4. but from what the person said who asked the problem fdisk is the best self help step they can take to ensure it is not an fdisk fixable problem. If it won't format or reghost then the problem has to be with; fdisk, no room for reghost, lost rom hard drive info, bad hard drive, other technical problem not obvious. Experts discussing it will not change the fact that fdisk is a via option, and may fix the problem. That some refuse to understand that does not impress me. Perhaps you do not know what fdisk actually does, or what format does, I hold multiple degrees in electronics, and have trained/worked in governmental facilities.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2005, 11:52 AM
    No I did not overlook that he has the original CD since that was never stated. What he said was he had the Recovery CDs. That's not the same thing.

There has been not been sufficient indication that the drive is not reformatting or why its not. That's why jumping the gun here is wrong. Nor is their any indication that there is a problem with partitions. If the drive partition was bad, then the drive would not appear to the PC as a system drive so there would be a non system disk message

1) I agree that its possible that the CMOS lost its info so its not recognizing the drives. I had asked earlier if he can get into the CMOS setup partially for that reason. But there is no indication of battery problems, The machine wouldn't power on at all in that case.

2) It is possible the hard drive has been physically damaged, but again, we do not have sufficient info to make that determination.

3) Remotely possible, but that gets back to issues of what version of Windows and how to get to a command prompt to run FDisk

4) There could be several other possibilities, some of which require a tech to service the machine others that he might be able to work through himself. The key is we NEED more info to make a diagnoses. Just throwing out loads of possibilities, many of them remote, doesn't really help. Both the asker and we are better served by getting more info so we can make a better diagnoses and offer potential solutions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2005, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by val21
    Hi
    I have a problem with my laptop.
    Val,

Please do not be concerned about the extraneous discussions going on here. They have nothing to do with you personally. We do want to help you and we may be able to help if you return and provide us with more info. I do not believe we have enough info yet to make a reasonable diagnoses and provide viable solutions. It may turn out some of the solutions offered will work, or it may be something totally different. Until we get more info, its hard to tell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrading Windows ME (FAT32) without formatting the hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought my wife an Ipod Nano and it requires Windows 2000 w/ SP4 (or higher) to run the iTunes software. I ordered the Service Pack 4 and when it arrived, I put in the disk and the directions said that I couldn't load SP4 to the ME OS (it would have to be loaded to Windows 2000). I was...

Floppy drive does not see disk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sony VAio pcv-rs720g running windows XP home ed. When I put a disk in the floppy drive it tells me that there is no disk in the drive and to insert one. I've tried a dozen disks. Also I went to device manager and deleted the floppy controller and reinstalled it, no help. I reset the AMI...

Hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

How do I transfer all the information from c drive to d drive?

Floppy? [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure how to put this? I have a camera with a floppy disk that you take the picture then put the disk in computer.( It works on a friends computer) When I put it in my computer and go to My Computer and click 3 1/2 Floppy it says Diskin drive is not formated so you say formate and then it says...

View more questions Search