Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielle2188 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Child Abandonment
    My daughter's father is in prison and has been for almost 18 months, and I was wondering if since he was in prison would that be child abandonment?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Child Abandonment is a legal term to describe a parent's failure to provide any financial assistance to or communicate with his or her child over a period. When this happens, a court may deem the child abandoned by that parent and order that person's parental rights terminated. Since your child's Father is in prison, that may not be considered abandonment.

Did he have any contact with his child before being incarcerated? Does he try to maintain contact now? Would it bother him if his rights were terminated? Have you talked to him about this? He does have rights as the Father. Before you try and terminate his rights, best to find out if this really matters to him. If he is willing then you should have no problems. You need to know, however, that even if he does terminate his parental rights, he will still be responsible for child support. That will only cease if and when you marry and your husband wants to adopt the child.

You do need to get in contact with an attorney. Ask the professional. I think you left out a few things here.

You can read through the following articles on abandonment:
    Understanding and Supporting Foster Children With Incarcerated Parents
    http://ssw.unc.edu/fcrp/Cspn/vol7_no1/cspn%20vol6_1.pdf
    Narlo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielle2188
    My daughter's father is in prison and has been for almost 18 months, and I was wondering if since he was in prison would that be child abandonment?
    Nope! His circumstances will allow him to be excused by the courts.
    jessie0o0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
    I read on a site online that if he is incarcerated it cannot be considered child abandonment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment of a child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sixteen year old niece that is being raised by her widowed mother. She has one more year in high school and is the captain of her dance team at school and does very well in school. Her mother grauated nursing school 3 years ago and just recently has been accepted to a physician assistants...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

What are the laws of child abandonment?? How long do you have to wait before you can take action?

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My fathers son has had no contact of paid no support for 1 year, I would like to know if there is any way I can get him for abandonment with out having to retain a lawyer.

View more questions Search