Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovelygurl Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
    How to pass department store "personality" test?
    Hi all,

I want a job working for a department store, but many of them have these "personality" tests.

Does anyone know the "correct" way to answer these things? A friend who works for Walmart said that they basically want you to be a "snitch" and "follow the rules" of the company.

Can someone help me? I'm confused. :confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
    You answer honestly. When you try to beat the personality inventory tests, it comes out as you being fake. That is how the inventory works - pulls out the phonies. So be honest and concern yourself with your true answers, not something made up that you think the HR person wants to hear.

Oct 25, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    You answer honestly. When you try to beat the personality inventory tests, it comes out as you being fake. That is how the inventory works - pulls out the phonies. So be honest and concern yourself with your true answers, not something made up that you think the HR person wants to hear.
    I remember answering "honestly" a couple of years ago on a two or three that I took and I never heard anything back. I know it could have been for a variety of reasons, but I figured this "test" was the reason why.

My first time coming in contact with these "tests" were in California. I don't know anybody working retail in NYC that's taken them.

I'll see if "honesty is the best policy" tomorrow. I'll be going to some high end department stores that are in need of people, so hopefully I'll be called back.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Hope you do well. I always try to be as honest as I can, it works well.

Oct 25, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    Hope you do well. I always try to be as honest as I can, it works well.
    Thanks! :D

I'll post back with my results! :)

Nov 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Just wanted to say that I passed the test for Victoria Secret and got the job! :-D

I know I'm getting excited over a barely minimum wage job (8.50 per hour), but they give evals every six months and you can move up in the company. VS is an excellent company and I really am interested in working in a customer service environment.

It's amazing with secretarial experience how I can't seem to get a decent office job, but yet after my first week out seeking retail work I get an offer in less than a week!

I had to answer 60 or so questions asking about stealing and drugs, but these four stuck out the most:

1) If you knew a family member was stealing from their job would you report them to their employer???

I was seriously like with this question, but I put YES. Of course I wouldn't, but I was like "Are you serious?"

2) Are you always truthful?

I put No. Why? Because NO ONE IS 100% truthful. I thought this question was misleading, but I told the truth.

3) If a company sent you an unordered $1.00 item would you send it back to the company?

I said YES, but in actuality I would call up first to see if they wanted it back.

About two or more questions later, they ask the same question again, but differently:

4) If you found out a cashier gave you a $1.00 over your correct change would you give the money back to the store the next day?

I said NO. Cause I wouldn't. Like who would? If I would have say YES, then they would have known that I was lying big time.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Congratulations! Those four questions are tough ones. Asking the personal price of honesty. Would be easy to answer if the sums were $1,000.00. Lol.

Hipe this job works out well for you. You are right, V.S. is a company that seems to promote within.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelygurl
    4) If you found out a cashier gave you a $1.00 over your correct change would you give the money back to the store the next day?

I said NO. Cause I wouldn't. Like who would? If I would have say YES, then they would have known that I was lying big time.
    Ummm, I would. I just did it yesterday with a simple quarter. The cashier gave me a quarter too much and I gave it back. :o

Nov 9, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Ummm, I would. I just did it yesterday with a simple quarter. The cashier gave me a quarter too much and I gave it back. :o
    The question asked if I would give the money back the NEXT day. Of course, the answer is NO. If I would have said yes, they would have KNOWN that I was lying. LOL! :D
    Vile Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 02:08 PM

Wow that's the same question I was asking,
    But yeah I failed that test I spend an hour with all the questions and in the end I failed. The last response from the computer was very ironic"you have successfully failed the test!
    XD lol
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 28, 2009, 10:27 AM
    I hate to say it, but I find it is better to tell them what they want to hear rather than being too honest. Sometimes in life you have to "play the game" to get ahead.
    asylumchild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs View Post
    I'm sorry, sir, but this is 100% wrong wrong wrong. Just like almost everything else in the USA, these "personality tests" are designed not to make sure they get good employees for the job, but to make sure they can make more profit by not hiring people and saving payroll. It is a greed scam. "Oh yes, we're hiring...AWW you didn't pass the survey, so we can't hire you (tee hee hee ... more money for us that we don't have to spend on payroll)."
    The Unemployment rate is skyrocketting in our country and they keep trying to figure out why. Things like these personailty surveys are why. The problem isn't that there aren't any jobs, the problem is that employers will not get off their lazy/greedy butts and hire you for a job. "If we're interested, we'll call you" (three months later... nothing).
    The way to get around these "personality surveys" is to answer the questions with what HR wants to hear: You stick to the rules, you are a team player, you are never late or feel lazy, etc. If these hints do not help you get the job, then go apply at a job that does not profile. I have noticed that most stores that use personality surveys to do their hiring are understaffed and, most of the time in my area, end up closing.
    BTW, Personality surveys do NOT help an employer find the best employees for the job. I can tell you of three instances on the news where Walmart hired three different pedophiles for the toy department after these three predators passed their "personality survey". I have worked in places that had personality surveys and they always had the same problem with internal theft, laziness, etc that any other business has even though the employees passed.
    So, to make a long story short, answer the questions with what HR wants to hear and if you don't pass, no sweat, you can get a job somewhere else that actually pays attention to who they hire instead of letting some half-baked survey do it for them.
    vtdads Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 01:41 PM
    I think these test should be out lawed!! Or these companies should have to tell you why you did not past the test. This would be a easy legal way for companies to legally profile employees. I can't figure out how some these morons at best buy past these tests. Its obvious that if you past the test you are not a good customer service person based on the people that I have tried to get to help me in these stores!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

OBD II reading "Not Ready" - can't pass inspection [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I have a 1999 Saturn SL and live in NY. My car went for inspection about 10 days ago and couldn't do the emissions test because my on board diagnostic computer was "not ready" for 4 tests: Catalyst EGR Evap System O2 sensors I was told to "drive it for a while" or do a drive cycle...

"Cause time will pass me by" Ideas ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I need some help to finding the song title and also the singer.. by the way I only know a couple of the words from that song, the words are: "Cause time will pass me by may be i'll never learn to smiles but i know i'll make it trough will you wait for me in heaven" Thanks,

View more questions Search