Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Malott Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Furnace won't heat in Auto
    I have read the different posting and replys, but they don't seem to address my problem. Friend has an older Kenmore Power Miser 70 that has an old electronic ign. (no flame senser). The furnace will heat when the fan switch is set to "on" position, and it will cycle the heat. When the fan is switched to the "auto" position, the igniter will light a pilot flame, but the fan will not come on and after a few min. the system will shut down. I can hear a click after a short period, then the pilot will go out. Any help would be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2005, 04:14 PM
    I don't think there is anybody here that really understand how all these different system work. I do my best. I am sure you saw references to the blower not coming on due to a relay or limit switch. Normally the blower shouldn't come on until after the main burner. If it doesn't come on then, another limit switch shuts the system down. I would try to identify the relay and limit switches and see if they seem to be working. Also clean them.

I would ask about a thermocouple for the pilot light, but if that was the problem, I don't see why it would heat with the fan on. I am afraid I can't help much other than to say poke around and get back with what you find.
    Malott Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Furnace won't work in auto
    Thanks Labman, I will continue to dig and if I find the solution I will post it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower can not auto start [ 29 Answers ]

I have a problem with my furnace blower not starting automatically. It works good when I swiched the fan option to "ON", the furnace was burning and fan was running. However if I pick "AUTO", only the furnace burns periodicaly, and the fan totall gets stuck. I am wondering if it is a wiring...

Furnace Manual Fan OK - Not Auto Though [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York Stellar Plus (15yrs old) with an Auto and Manual Fan Switch on the T-stat. The Fan will work when turned to ON (at the T-Stat) but it will not come on when you turn the heat on with the Fan switch turned to Auto. I have replaced the Limit Switch. No difference Thanks!

Thermostat on Heat and Auto fan but fan is not on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This just started happening. I have a dual zone thermostat. The thermostat downstairs seems to turn on. I set the desired temp at 72 but it does not get any warmer then 67. The thermostat upstairs... I set it on auto but the fan does not run. If I set it on Fan, cold air blows out. ...

Running furnace fan without heat [ 5 Answers ]

I read some of the other similar posts. I am encouraged that there is a way to do without a spot for the green wire. Labman, could you give me directions on how you to accomplish this. Thanks so much! Nate

FAN doesn't work when it's 'Auto', but works fine at 'On' in my central air/furnace [ 1 Answers ]

undefinedFAN 'On' or 'Auto'FAN 'On' or 'Auto' Hi, I have programmable thermostat connecting air condition / furnace system. Now if I turn system to 'Cool' and Fan at 'Auto', no cool air come out (compressor works, you can hear the noise). If I set FAN to 'On', life is getting better. But the FAN...

View more questions Search