Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsteiden Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Goodman Furnace - brand new - won't start
    Installed this summer, A/C works fine.

First time I started the furnace (last week) it started fine, then shut off shortly (15 min. later).

No led errors are reading on the board. After shutting off power to re-start the start sequence (it shuts down after 3 tries), the inducer motor starts, the pilot glows, but it will not lite.

Waited 2 days (it wasn't cold enough to need it) then tried again - same thing - it starts fine, runs 15 min or less, then shuts down and will not re-start.

What could it be? I read a post about matching the settings on the thermostat for the heat anticipator - how would you do that on a programmable?

Any other ideas? I'm stumped.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Your furnace is new. Call the contractor that installed it because it is under warranty.

Oct 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
    I installed it myself
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 04:50 PM
    The heat anticipator should not cause the furnace to run. The heat anticipator is set up to make sure the thermostat does its job correctly in regards to range. When it turns on at 70 it will be 70 and when it turns off at 75 it will be 75. Most thermostats have a adjustment but you will need to get a total amp reading when the furnace is running. It takes into account the gas valve draw,wire draw etc.

You may try to clean the sensor which could have become dirty during the install. If you never had your furnace inspected and checked over after you installed it now is the time to do so.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 06:19 PM
    If you are running LP gas did you convert it over for it. The furnace is set up for NG from the factory.

Oct 25, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies. No, I'm using NG, not LP.

Yes, I WILL have someone look at it if no one here has anymore ideas of what could be wrong.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

Check the terminals for power to the gas valve. If it has power, and the gas isn't on, it is bad.

Oct 27, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Turns out that I neglected to remove a plug from the condensate reservoir before I attached the drain hose. That caused a pressure switch to be disabled when it filled up so the gas valve wouldn't open.

Anyway, it works now. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

My Brand New Goodman 3tn Heat Pump only pushes freon for 5 seconds and stops. Why ? [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a brand new 3 ton goodman Heat Pump system... when the ac turns on , I can here the reverse valve open and the compressor kick on , and here is the question.. The 7/8" copper freon line gets ice cold as it should but only for about 10 seconds and then it goes back to a normal but...

Furnace Brand Suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend a good furnace brand? Currently have 22 yo, 100kBTU, oil fired, forced hot air, highboy w a/c evaporator coil. Heat exchanger has a crack. So far suggested Lennox, Thermo pride, Armstrong, Carrier, Comfort Air, American Standard and Oneida. Don’t need the Cadillac, I’m...

Goodman Furnace will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a new Goodman 80% natuaral gas furnace, GMH80451ANA. After installed, it fired right up and ran for about 30 minutes and burned off the smell from the exchanger tubes. Ran it a second time for another half hour or so, then it would not fire up again. The only thing I did was to change...

Furnace brand and BTUS [ 3 Answers ]

Is goodman a decent brand of furnace. Also, how many BTU is necessary to heat 1500 sq ft house?

View more questions Search