Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icecream Posts: 160, Reputation: 6

Oct 25, 2007, 09:19 AM
    My wife is a christian and I'm a roman catholic
    We got married at her church and now she is suggesting for a baby girl to be baptised at her church but, I kind of want her to have her christining at my church?

This religion thing between us didn't come to my mind at all when I married her. I truly love her but need some advice.

I honeslty don't go to church as much as she does (I stay at home on sundays, while she takes our baby to her church)

I really need some advice on what to do and maybe someone can clear my head on what the difference is.. I know it sounds stupid!

ANY opinions regarding this matter will help!

Oct 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
    I have another question:

We bought a house over the summer and she wants to house bless it twice. Have her priest and my priest come and bless the house (not at the same day)

Any comments on that?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
    To answer question 1: If she is more religious and takes baby to church, have it baptised in her church. There shouldn't be a problem as long as the baby is baptised. If you are not particularly religious and don't attend church as regularly as she does, this should not really be a problem.

Also, Catholics ARE Christians too.

#2 So, what, have the house blessed twice. No biggy.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
    1. You are both Christian.
    2. Since you are not as active as her, I'd suggest go and be active at her Church.

In my opinion you owe it to the child to be as one on the faith issue. Not that it would be "bad" if not, but certainly better.

All of the above is just my opinion.

Oct 25, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    To answer question 1: If she is more religious and takes baby to church, have it baptised in her church. There shouldn't be a problem as long as the baby is baptised. If you are not particularly religious and don't attend church as regularly as she does, this should not really be a problem.

Also, Catholics ARE Christians too.

#2 So, what, have the house blessed twice. No biggy.
    Ya I kind of figured that! I was just being real stubborn like always! I really needed to hear that other than from our friends. Just cause sometiimes I think they take her sides more than mine... I don't know.

Thanks J_9 she will be real happy to hear my answer :D

Oct 25, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    1. You are both Christian.
    2. Since you are not as active as her, I'd suggest go and be active at her Church.

In my opinion you owe it to the child to be as one on the faith issue. Not that it would be "bad" if not, but certainly better.

All of the above is just my opinion.
    Your right. I don't go to my church as much as I would like but, maybe going to her church as a family would make us a little closer than we already are :D

Something I should really think about! Damn, WHY AM I SO STUBBORN WHEN IT COMES TO THIS!! Kind of pisses me off but, I can't help what I feel I guess...

Thanks you 2 :D
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Some people in these situations wait until the child is old enough to make their own decisions about which faith or denomination they wish to be.

Oct 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
    I have another question:

Should I consider myself as christian? Why am I labelled as catholic when the posts stated above mentioned that they are the same??

Can someone school me on what the deal is please! Maybe if I can get more understanding on the topic, I can be more understanding to my wife as well.
    beatlejuice Posts: 63, Reputation: 2
    -

Oct 25, 2007, 10:58 AM
    I think like everyone says, if she is more active then you should go to her church. Baby dedication to the lord more biblical than Christianing, because the child is not old enough to make the choice of babtism herself a baby dedication can be done
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 11:09 AM
    [QUOTE=icecream]
    Should I consider myself as christian? Why am I labelled as catholic when the posts stated above mentioned that they are the same??
    QUOTE]

Me and my Catholic flatmate just discussed this.
    Point one - do you worship Christ? Then you are a Christian. Christian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Point two - why do non Roman Catholics (I'm looking at the protestants here) never say their denomination but just say they are Christian in certain countries such as Northern Ireland? My personal theory was that it was because many of these breakaway denominations believe themselves to be worshiping 'the one true version of Christianity' and if you believe yourself to be doing this then why would you say you were anything but just Christian?

I just thought of another point- are you the Catholic?
    You should note that not raising your child catholic could get you excommunicated- as happened to by grandmother for the terrible crime of raising protestant sons. Things might be a bit more relaxed now, but worth a look into.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream
    I have another question:

should i concider myself as christian? why am i labelled as catholic when the posts stated above mentioned that they are the same???
    A christian is someone who believes in Christ. Certainly all christian denominations, including Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox Catholics, and all protestant denominations such as baptists, methodists, lutherans, episcopalians, congregationalists, etc etc have christian memberships. However, some of the more fundamentalist sects have tried to coopt the word to mean specifically a person who is "saved," that is those who in their view have has made a personal commitment to the Lord. This seems to be more prevalent in the midwest and southern parts of the US (i.e, in the bible belt).
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
    This sounds kind of dumb but roman catholics are christians. They believe in Jesus, and the new testament just like any other christian.
    Being baptised or christened are very similar can happen in almost any church. If it really bothers you talk to your wife, she'll understand. If it's really a problem you need to discuss what religon you want your daughter to be, perhaps you should both speak to your preacher or pastor and get all of the facts and have them help you decide. They will both lean towards there own religon, but they can help you make a well informed decision if you don't know about one anothers religon.
    -

Oct 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    A christian is someone who believes in Christ. Certainly all christian denominations, including Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox Catholics, and all protestant denominations such as baptists, methodists, lutherans, episcopalians, congregationalists, etc etc have christian memberships. However, some of the more fundamentalist sects have tried to coopt the word to mean specifically a person who is "saved," that is those who in their view have has made a personal commitment to the Lord. This seems to be more prevalent in the midwest and southern parts of the US (i.e, in the bible belt).
    I don't know what bible you are reading but it says for you to become a child of God (christian) you must be born again hence receive Christ as your personal savior hence being saved. The Bible says who so ever shall call upon the lord shall be Saved. Its not about religious ceremonies like taking communion, attending church, recitin the aposels creed reading the catacism, baptism etc. all that is god but it does not bring you one inch close to heaven. Confessing your sin, repenting and inviting christ into your life as your personal savior makes you a Child of God. It is through Christ (not religious practices) that we become reconciled to God and that is how we become children of God.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 25, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlejuice
    I dont know what bible you are reading but it says for you to become a child of God (christian) you must be born again hence recieve Christ as your personal savior hence being saved. The Bible says who so ever shall call upon the lord shall be Saved. Its not about religious ceremonies like taking communion, attending church, recitin the aposels creed reading the catacism, baptism ect. all that is god but it does not bring you one inch close to heaven. Confessing your sin, repenting and inviting christ into your life as your personal savior makes you a Child of God. It is through Christ (not religious practices) that we become reconciled to God and that is how we become children of God.
    Romans 10:9-10

9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
    10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

For whatever that's worth.

Oct 25, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Just out of curiousity.

Can I ask all the people that posted or will post on my topic to state what your religion is please.
    -

Oct 25, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Comment on kindj's post
    Yes, yes!
    -

Oct 25, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Comment on icecream's post
    I am a christian, I do not like to say I belong to a denomination because I think it causes division in the body of christ. But I Guess my beliefes would be close to being pentacostal.

Oct 25, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Thank you beatlejuice and kinj.

Any roman catholics out there? If so, how do you feel about this whole thread? Anything at all!!
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 25, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Sorry can't help you. My husband claims Catholic and I am Charismatic.
    avenger9000 Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2007, 03:49 PM
    You see when people ask me what my beliefs are, I just say I am a follower of Jesus, because the word christian is just... well you get what I mean

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic and Christian Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am Catholic and my fiancée is Protestant Christian. We plan to get married soon but we both agree that we want to give respect to each of our own beliefs. With this we agree that we have two weddings. The first one would be Catholic and with families only and the second one would be the...

Roman Tub Hand Held Shower - DIVERTER [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a jacuzzi tub and a Price Pfister Roman Faucet set. My wife has requested a Hand Held Shower attachment and OBVIOUSLY I want to fulfill her request. Here is my dilemma: I NEED A DIVERTER for this faucet set which can be activated forn the tub and the hose can...

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

Logging in the Middle Ages/Roman Times. [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any history buffs here, who know about life in Roman times? I'm curious to find out what logging practices were like during those times. What kind of equipment they may have used? Did they have cross cut saws and hand axes, like what loggers in the Northwest would have used in the...

View more questions Search