Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragonlady Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2005, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Hi, nobody seems to have mentioned System File Checker yet, before you re-format the computer, give it a try.

Click start -> run -> type "SFC" and press ok.

You will probably need your windows CD when this runs.

Good Luck!
    I have done the SFC and everything else I can think of. ;) So now, I will try to reformat again :( I will let you all know how it goes :) and again thanks for all your help
    Dragonlady

Nov 6, 2005, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    The message with "kernel32.dll" tells it all.
    Unfortunately, that file is THE main Windows 98/98SE file. It runs windows, so to speak.
    You will have to do a "delete and install windows" from your Install CD's for Win98/98SE.
    There is no other way around it.
    Then, have to install all the programs again, such as Word, email configurations, etc, and printer, scanner, etc.
    I disagree with the post about "fully updating" all the Security patches from Microsoft with Win98/98SE; especially the Internet Explorer Security Patch and the main one for Outlook Express. I tried these, had to reinstall windows 98SE.
    Some of these security patches will definitely show you the "blue death" screen! I don't have ANY security patches installed on my computer, and I use the phone line dial-up.
    I would caution about installing all these Security patches.
    Ok what updates should I do download? I have Microsoft Internet Explorer 6SP1 and internet tools plus Microsoft Outlook Express 6. I've never has so many problems with my puter. My roommate has a computer and it runs fine. It has windows 98se. And has the same down loads that I put on mime. We are both on Cable.
    Thanks
    Dragonlady
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 6, 2005, 10:18 AM
    Good luck with the re-install. For the record, I agree with installing the security updates straight away, if these are going to mess your system up, its better that they do before you've restored everything and installed all your software.

VXD stands for virtual device driver, and can usually be found in system.ini if memory serves. If you have not formatted yet, or have the same problem after re-installing the OS, I would suspects device drivers are the issue. Also you can test the memory in your system with a Mem tester such as the one from microsoft:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Good luck!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 6, 2005, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    FULLY patching a clean machine wouldn't cause any harm at all, at least it will give an excellent base to start from.

Normally patchs only cause problems on older establish machine, causing a conflict with installed programs.

At least when starting from a clean machne the whole OS can be made as stable as possible before installing anything else.
    As I said here, download ALL the available patches you can find and then install your programs.

Nov 6, 2005, 02:14 PM
    Reformat
    You said here that you reformated a few days ago, in that case my best advice would be to do it again and reinstall WIndows.
    BEFORE you put anything else on the computer make sure that it is FULLY updated from Micro$oft.
    Then slowly start to reinstall the software that youu have on it.
    :p thanks I am doing that right now
    Dragonlady

Nov 6, 2005, 03:29 PM
    Getting really mad!!
    :mad:

Ok I have reinstalled windows98se and I am still getting the stupid blue screen. I would like to thank Chery,fredg, Curlyben and StuMegu for all your help, but nothing seems to help. Now I am just going to have to take it in to a computer shop. :( once again you guys :) Thanks for all your help. :p

When I have my computer back from the shop I will let you all know what was wrong and what they did to fix it. :p

Dragonlady :)

Nov 6, 2005, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady
    :mad:

Ok I have reinstalled windows98se and I am still getting the stupid blue screen. I would like to thank Chery,fredg, Curlyben and StuMegu for all your help, but nothing seems to help. Now I am just going to have to take it in to a computer shop. :( once again you guys :) Thanks for all your help. :p

When I have my computer back from the shop I will let you all know what was wrong and what they did to fix it. :p

Dragonlady :)
    It may take some time before I get back to you all... need to make some money... Like I said before Thank-you all for your help...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 6, 2005, 03:44 PM
    Befroe you take it into the shop make sure that ALL your drivers are up to date, as Stu mentioned above VXD refer to device drivers.
    So up date Graphics, sound and any other hardware devices that you have extra, Win 98 doesn't come with many in built drivers and it maybe an out dated one that is causeing you a problem.

Nov 6, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Befroe you take it into the shop make sure that ALL your drivers are up to date, as Stu mentioned above VXD refer to device drivers.
    So up date Graphics, sound and any other hardware devices that you have extra, Win 98 doesn't come with many in built drivers and it maybe an out dated one that is causeing you a problem.
    I've done that already and still get the blue screen. Now I can't get my Ad-Aware to scan... so many problems what is a girl to do? I have been at this for three weeks... reinstalling, running SFC,defraging, scan the registry trying every thing I can think of. Maybe it is time to update to windows xp or get a whole new computer. Once again... thanks!! For your help.

Dragonlady

Nov 6, 2005, 04:35 PM
    Use the memory tester from Microsoft on the link below, if you haven't already. It will require a blank floppy disk, then boot with it in and it will test your ram.http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If your still having problems it could be hardware related and not software.

Also, when you say you have updated all the drivers, have you done this from the component manufacturer's websites? I say this because Windows Update doesn't have all the drivers you need.

Nov 6, 2005, 08:14 PM
    Memory tester
    Use the memory tester from microsoft on the link below, if you haven't already. It will require a blank floppy disk, then boot with it in and it will test your ram.http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If your still having problems it could be hardware related and not software.

Also, when you say you have updated all the drivers, have you done this from the component manufacturer's websites? I say this because Windows Update doesn't have all the drivers you need.
    Ok I ran the memory tester and I can't understand the mumbo jumbo. :confused: It showed that MATS+, INVC,and LRAND has failed. Do you know what that means? And what is it? Is it where the ram card goes into the slots? If so then I understand it. I only have one ram slot being used. And yes I did go to the manufacturer's site to get the drivers. Now if it is a hardware problem how would I know? Is there a test I can do or do I have to take it in to a shop?
    Dragonlady

Nov 7, 2005, 01:55 AM
    The memory tester has shown that your Ram (memory) is faulty. You need to get it replaced. It is indeed the small stick that plugs directly into the motherboard. To remove it, ground yourself by touching the bare metal of the case, and push the plastic clips down to lift the stick up.

Take this faulty stick of ram to the shop and they will be able to recommend a replacement. It might be wise to take the motherboard manual with you (if you have it) that will tell the shop assistant what the maximum ram size you can have for your motherboard.

Congratulations, you have just diagnosed and found the solution to a faulty PC!
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 7, 2005, 05:25 AM
    I posted your last bit of information with all the error codes on another forum I joined, and got this response back so far:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Possible fixes:
    Scan your PC with any available antivirus/spyware remover
    Disable Virtual memory. Reboot and set up a new Virtual memory size dependent on the size of her RAM. If under 1GB set it to 1.5x the size of her RAM. If she has 1GB or more, set it to 1GB.
    Check for faulty RAM modules with memtest. (search Google for this utility).
    Run Scandisk or a disk checking utility from the manufacturer of the hard disk.
    Uninstall and re-install graphics drivers.
    Make sure CPU and/or Northbridge chip on motherboard and/or graphics card isn't overheating. Use SpeedFan utility for this to check temps.
    Make sure she has a decent firewall installed before she goes on the net. ZoneAlarm should do nicely.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by CJ : Yesterday at 08:06 PM.
    Since I have not used Win98 for so long, it sounds logical. Anything is worth a try, good Luck!

Nov 7, 2005, 11:36 AM
    The memory tester has shown that your Ram (memory) is faulty. You need to get it replaced. It is indeed the small stick that plugs directly into the motherboard. To remove it, ground yourself by touching the bare metal of the case, and push the plastic clips down to lift the stick up.

Take this faulty stick of ram to the shop and they will be able to reccomend a replacement. It might be wise to take the motherboard manual with you (if you have it) that will tell the shop assistant what the maximum ram size you can have for your motherboard.

Congratulations, you have just diagnosed and found the solution to a faulty pc!
    I ran the test again and got this NAST+ failed, INVC failed, LRAND failed and STRIDE 6 Active. I have 4 ram slots on my mother board. My ram is in the first slot and it is a 256MB SDRAM. I aways shut and unplug my computer off before I take out or replace any ram. I have a A7V-E ASUS socket motherboard. In my user manual( motherboard ) The DIMMs must be 3.3 Volt unbuffered SDRAMs. I do have that ram.
    Dragonlady

Nov 7, 2005, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    I posted your last bit of information with all the error codes on another forum I joined, and got this response back so far:

Since I have not used Win98 for so long, it sounds logical. Anything is worth a try, good Luck!
    Hi Chery,

Thanks for the information, but I don't use Zone alarm don't like it very much. I am hooked to a router and it has it's own firewall (don't know what type it is) I'm not too sure if I can Disable Virtual memory. Don't feel very comfortable doing that. Some stuff I can do to my puter, but other stuff I'm not so comfortable with.

Dragonlady

Nov 7, 2005, 02:27 PM
    I ran the test again and got this NAST+ failed, INVC failed, LRAND failed and STRIDE 6 Active. I have 4 ram slots on my mother board. My ram is in the first slot and it is a 256MB SDRAM. I aways shut and unplug my computer off before I take out or replace any ram. I have a A7V-E ASUS socket motherboard. In my user manual( motherboard ) The DIMMs must be 3.3 Volt unbuffered SDRAMs. I do have that ram.
    Dragonlady
    Hi, I wasn't suggesting that you had the wrong ram in the system, just that it has failed and now needs replacing! Sometimes, you can re-seat the ram in the slot and this will fix it, but I think you need some new RAM.

Nov 7, 2005, 04:05 PM
    New ram
    Hi, I wasn't suggesting that you had the wrong ram in the system, just that it has failed and now needs replacing! Sometimes, you can re-seat the ram in the slot and this will fix it, but I think you need some new RAM.
    Thanks I just brought this ram.

dragonlady
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 7, 2005, 04:56 PM
    Hi Chery,

Thanks for the information, but I don't use Zone alarm don't like it very much. I am hooked to a router and it has it's own firewall (don't know what type it is) I'm not too sure if I can Disable Virtual memory. Don't feel very comfortable doing that. Some stuff I can do to my puter, but other stuff I'm not so comfortable with.

Dragonlady
    If you use the help file and type virtual memory, it will guide you to where to got to do it. Zone alarm was just a suggestion, but if you use another app, then that's OK too. This can be frustrating, but when done, you'll know a lot more and gain more confidence each time. Good Luck.

Nov 8, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Thanks I just brought this ram.

dragonlady
    Then I would take it back for some that works!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Feeling small... [ 31 Answers ]

I went to London yesterday with my boyfriend Pete, and 6 of his friends. 5 of them are going to Italy with us in September for a holiday. We also have a weekend away to France Planned over Easter. Pete and his mate Dave came up with the France Idea and incorporated me to go with them. I...

Small dog not eating [ 7 Answers ]

hi everyone, I need some help. I have an 11 year old cocker mutt and she is very sick. About 2 1/2 weeks ago she started not being able to jump up on the bed or put a lot of weight on her right hind leg. She would never whine, like it wasn't hurting her at all though. About a week ago she started...

Small cockroaches [ 1 Answers ]

I lived with friends,where we couldn't get rid of the cockroaches... Now I moved into a roach-free home ( I know for sure,because I inspected everything carefully before moving in) only to find out ( oh horror) that some roaches have travelled with me inside my moving boxes! I haven't seen that...

Small Question [ 2 Answers ]

Umm... (I must sound like an amateur) In SUVAT equations... How can you tell when a displacement has to be negative or positive..? Like when freefall... is the displacement +ve or -ve :-[ (if down is considered +ve) And when you throw something up (considering up as positive) is...

View more questions Search