Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steph00814 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Tectonic plate movement
    How would you work out this question?

An island chain is 2100 km long and the ages of the rocks of the 2 end islands differ by 42 million years, what is the average rate of plate movement in cm yr-1
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 06:29 AM
    The average speed of an object is simply the distance travelled divided by the time. So here you divide 2100 km by 42 million years, and then convert the units to cm/yr. Work it out, then post back with the answer you get and we'll check it for you.
    steph00814 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 10:03 AM
    OK so:

2100 / 42 million= 0.00005

0.00005 converted = 5 cm yr-1
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 10:10 AM
    You got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not feeling well, less movement [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everyone! Just a little concern... Last night around 11 I suddenly didn't feel well. Just felt very tired and not quite myself. I didn't wake up once until around 9 this morning. Not even for a bathroom break! Well, when I woke up I was cramping. It didn't last too long, and wasn't real bad....

Less movement? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if any one else has had a pregnancy in which the baby moved very little in the third trimester. I worry because I had a very nice amount of movement late in the second trimester and now early in the third movement is rare. The doctor tells me to try sugar or caffeine to...

Movement every 3 days [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently 18 weeks 5 days pregnant and I am consistently feeling movement about ever 3 days. I feel the baby move about 3 or so times a day on the days I do feel movement. I know some woman do not feel anything till 20 weeks; however, I wonder is it normal for me to feel movement and then feel...

Bowel movement [ 3 Answers ]

Lately, but very sporatically, my bowel movements have been almost pure liquid. I don't think it is diarrhea because it is very random, and only happens once then stops. This is gross, but as soon as I go to the bathroom, it just comes out. I didn't know if it was just my digestive system being...

Movement of earth [ 2 Answers ]

Can I know something about the movement of earth?

View more questions Search