Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherylgass Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Freshwater Fish Tank had ammonia,nitrites,ammonia again!
    I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on. I unfortunately bought a new 33 gallon tank almost 6 weeks ago and the next day bought some fish. (1 Heroes Notatus(South American Cichlid), A Raphael Catfish, 6 Neon Tetras, 3 Glass Catfish and a goby Dragon) If I knew then what I know now then I would have waited for the addition of the fish. I used cycle, did 30% water changes every couple of days, sometimes every day if the ammonia levels or later the nitrite levels got too high. My ammonia levels dropped to 0ppm about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the nitrites began to spike. I started to decrease the frequency of the water changes at the advice of my local pet store to reduce the stress on the fish. Well yesterday the nitrite levels started to drop and today I have a reading of 0ppm. I was thrilled 5 weeks 3 days and I was cycled. Just for fun I tested the ammonia and it is up from 0ppm to 0.25 ppm. Am I starting over again? I have not added any fish. I did use mardel to treat for fungus but this was complete over a week ago and have been assured that this would not hurt my cycle. Please HELP me understand I can't find any other incidents of this happening.
    Cheryl
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 11:28 PM
    There are several articles on this sight -- most are easy to understand

Freshwater Fish Tank | eHow Search

Think it is a juggling act keeping a healthy home for fish
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Hey Cheryl,
    Hun, I think you're just fine.
    Often you will get an ammonia reading after a new tank has fully cycled because perhaps you fed too much, or cleaned a little too much, or changed filter cartridges, or changed a little too much water, or even cleaned gravel, disease treatments, there are numerous reasons that cause damage to beneficial bacteria.
    If you did a disease treatment, it would make sense that you are seeing the effects it had on the cycle a week later.
    Keep an eye on it to see if it continues to spike, watch the nitrites too for a rise.
    You can add a dose of Cycle and don't do any water changes...
    This will help build stronger beneficial bacterial colonies so that less accidents occur with damaging the cycle during regular maintenance
    And disease treatments.

Your tank needs about a month after the cycle is complete to really establish itself.

Let me know if you have anymore concerns and I'll be happy to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High nitrite levels in my freshwater tank [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am new to my hobby I just got a 25gal aquarium and filled it out with freshwater tropical fish and as a nub started with fish that is more tolerable to harsh conditions like Platys, Hi-fin tetras, neon tetras, glow fish I had one nub but unfortunately he died about two days ago. I also have 1...

Cat urine smells strongly of ammonia [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter came home from school and brought her cat, male, fixed. We have a cat already and her litter box has never smelled. My daughter's cat's box really really smells of ammonia. It hits you when you walk in the front door and I have tried everything to get rid of it. Any ideas or...

Ammonia to high in my tank. Fish laboring to breath. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello... I have a 55 gal. tank that I recently purchased moving up from an old 30 gal. and I have about 14 African Cichlids... some that were born in my old tank. When I first set up this tank all went really well and the fish were doing amazing... and with little maintenance. I have two large...

Ammonia in freshwater 35 gallon tank [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I'm new at this and just got my 36 gallon aquarium may 1st this year Everything was fine until last week a fish got ick so I treated the tank... opps forgot to remove filters... so now my ammonia is high. My small test kit it says orange but I put in stresszime ( by their request) its...

Ammonia cat urine [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there Quick question ~ I am a new cat owner (1 yr) and I have a sweet loving male neutered cat (Sir Chiggy) and I have just noticed over the past week that his urine smells very strong of ammonia. Never has before! To the point that my eyes water. Is this normal? Possibility of a UTI? ...

View more questions Search