Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    couga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Energy Practice
    The engine of a 1950 kg car driving at 25m/s suddenly dies out as it approaches a 25 m high hill. Will the car have enough energy to clear this hill?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 12:06 AM
    Work out the kinetic and the potential energy needed, compare and there's your answer.
    catgita Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 01:31 PM
    With no air or mechanical drag the mass and energy of the car is irrelevant. If you were to drop the car from 25m, would it be going 25m/s when it hit the ground?

I can't recall the math at the moment, other than acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s/s. A napkin calculation says it comes up a little short. I think you could clear a 30m hill at 30m/s, but at 25m/s you only make about 22m up, 20m/s you make 15m, etc.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
    You're making it too complex catgita.

At the bottom of the hill, the car has KE = = 0.5*1950*25*25 J
    At the top of the hill, the car must have PE = = 1950*25*9.8 J

As the KE is > the PE, the car makes it over the hill. As it has enough KE to convert into PE.

I don't understand your method of doing the sum. I don't see how you are able to do it that way without knowing more information.
    catgita Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
    For one, the mass cancels out when you have:
    1/2mv^2>mgh
    giving you
    1/2v^2>gh

Second, maybe you have heard of someone called Newton? Drop a hammer, drop a feather from 25m, which hits the ground first? Make the car 1kg or 1,000,000kg, no difference.

Regardless, you are correct, the car makes it to the top going about 11.6m/s. Thanks for the equasions, much better than my estimates.;)
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Of course you're right, but you're just confusing things for our high school friend here. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potential Energy- Bonding Energy [ 1 Answers ]

Question: The net potential energy between two ions (e.g. Na+ andCl-) can be Represented as follows: EN =EA+ER = -A/r +B/rn (a) Calculate the bonding energy E0 in terms of the A, B, and n ...

Practice tips! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a 12 year old who plans to live it large and I would like to be a photographer when I am 16 I am good with the camera any things that I should practice?? :confused:

Basketball practice help [ 28 Answers ]

OK I really need help I love basketball I always have But no matter how much I practice and how hard I work I just can't seem to get better I mean I have talked to my coach and the way she works is she tells you something negative and she wants you to prove her wrong Well for me its kind of...

Is this practice legal? [ 4 Answers ]

Today we received a phone call at my office where the caller immediately asked for our fax number without identifying themselves. When asked what this was in reference to, he said that he needed to send an Employment Verification form. When it was faxed over, I noticed that it was for information...

Will I be able to practice? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm just finishing my first year of law school, and am kind of embarrassed to ask this. I entered a debt settlement company, and they were lousy. I now have three accounts left, and with interest they are now in upwards of $30,000. I'm leaving the company, but the three account left are with...

View more questions Search