Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mammakabba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Bank Error for a Court Levy
    My bank recently levied my account for over 3000.00. Because I go online almost
    Everyday I saw the levy right about the time it posted. I called my bank who gave me
    The name of the court levy departments call guy. I called him as the bank told me they
    Could do nothing because the money was already gone. I called the levy department and was told that my husbands and mine SS numbers were not it the system
    And that the court levy dept had no idea why the bank levied our account. To make a long
    Story short it took me all day to get the bank to put my money back. They lied to me
    And told me that they had a three point match but they did not. It was not until I
    Threatened to bring in the USPS for mail fraud that they admitted their misstake.
    My bank told me that this other person who had a court levy was using my address as
    Well as sharing the same name and birthdate. However she was not using my address.
    It was a lie to cover their misstake. So my question is this should not the bank have to pay for my day and my husbands time off work for going to the main branch and trying to get our money back? We wrote them a letter asking for restitution but they refused.
    Can I report them to someone? Who regulates these people?
    Thank you
    Teresa
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Hello M

Slow down and tell us what happened. I am a little confused. What does mail fraud have to do with it? Or maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to say Please explain what happened so may be we can advise you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
    I too wonder what mail froud has to do with it. But, if the bank refuses restitution and you can prove that there was not enough matching info for the creditor and the bank to accept the levy as belonging to you, then you have grounds for a suit. You can bring suit in small claims court against the creditor and the bank. You will need to quantify your losses. And then you will still have to collect when you win.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Oct 25, 2007, 03:31 PM
    I know what it is like to have a bank "freeze" your account by mistake it happened to me
    And the creditor and the bank had to pay the consequences for the mistake that was made I can tell you for experience that the bank will be more than happy to straighten this out
    When they realize it is THEIR fault

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank levy [ 4 Answers ]

HI, I received a letter today from the bank and it has attached a letter where a Plaintiff a debt collector company and vs me. The letter is about restraining Notice information Subpoena. Which says " whereas it appears that you woe a debt ot the judgment debtor or are in possession or...

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

Can a levy be place against your bank account if it is joint and the joint account holder is not your spouse. Is it true that adding a child or aanother third party to your account as a trust or co owner will stop the levy because creditors can not seize an account with a third party.

Bank Levy [ 2 Answers ]

A creditor has put a levy on my bank account for a court judgement on a past due credit card account. I didn't know about the court judgement till today. Now all of my funds are on hold. I was told that I would need to go to the court house to get a copy of the judgement order. My question is, I...

Bank Levy [ 1 Answers ]

Can HOA obtain a garnishment with out sending you anything or letting you know a court date

Bank levy [ 2 Answers ]

I am 59 years old and have been through some difficult times recently. Today I learned that my bank account had a levy placed on it. There was only $533. In the account but it is all the money I have. Is there anything I can do to get it back. As a side note the bank took $100. As a processing fee.

View more questions Search