Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    testtubes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Rolling 90% of 401k into IRA and cashing out balance
    Since I am no expert on this, let me first say what I have heard, and then you can correct me if needed.
    I have heard that if someone age 55 or older retires from their employer, and is no longer a active employee, that they can cash out their 401k monies and only pay regular income tax on it, no 10% penalty.
    I am somewhat aware of the rules concerning 72T.

Here is my question: I will retire with about 975K in my 401K account. I would like to put 900k in a IRA and draw a monthly income from those investments. With the other 75K, I would like to cash it out and after paying taxes, I would pay off my motorhome which would leave me basically debt free.
    This would put me in a much better situation to ride out the 5 years of 72T that will have a locked in monthly amount.

Is it possible to do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 11:24 AM
    I think your plan will work, assuming that you don't leave your job before age 55, and that this 401(k) is in the account associated with your current employment (i.e, not from some previous job). This also assumes that your particular plan allows withdrawals prior to age 59-1/2; while federal law allows this, your plan may have restrictions that could prevent it, so check with your administrator.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out 401k [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently quit working and am considering cashing in my 401k. Approx how much will I loose compared to rolling it over into a ira and then cashing that in?

Rolling 401k to an IRA [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard that you can roll a 401k into an IRA with no penalty. I have also heard that you can make a one time penalty free $10,000 withdrawal from an IRA for a first time home buyer. If both of these are true is this a potnetial way to get around the penalty from making the withdrawal...

Cashing in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info...

Cashing out 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.

Cashing out 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I am 49 yrs old with a 401k sitting in a previous employers plan (about $70k) and thinking about cashing out to eliminate the debt that I have ($30K from consolidation). I don't see any other way to get out from under it. I know the consequences of doing it; penalty, taxes, lost future income....

View more questions Search