Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    infinite8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Credit Cards with $0 Balances
    I have 5 credit cards, each with a $0 balance (finally paid them off!). One of them is over 20 years old. Most were opened 5-10 years ago. As far as my credit score is concerned, is it better to have credit cards open with a $0 balance or is it better to close them down completely.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2007, 06:41 AM
    I recently read that it was better to leave them open with a $0 balance. However, too much available credit with low income can bring down your credit score.
    CindyLynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Oct 28, 2007, 08:59 PM
    If you close them your credit score will go down for 2 reasons:
    1. Your oldest accounts will then be closed and a good portion of your credit score is based on the age of your positve credit
    2. Your credit utilization will go up. For example if you currently have 5000 balances on 20,000 available and you close 10,000 you will go from 25% utilization to 50% utilization, which can damage your credit quite a bit. Any increase in utilization will decrease your score.

You should not close those accounts, in fact you should use them each at least once per year or they will sometimes clsoe them for non use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit cards [ 2 Answers ]

I Need To See A Sample Letter Of Intend To Defend For A Credit Card Summons I Received

Credit Cards [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, I am wondering, I purchased two website's over the internet by a business out of Tempe, Arizona, two Days later they called convicing me to buy advertising for these websites. Well, I did and it cost me $6,500.00 for this advertising program later to figure out they are scammers. I...

Credit cards [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! My brother is having problems with his wife. Right now they are living separately in two different places. At this moment she doesn't want to come to him. He has two kids. All the credit cards which he has, he is the primary member while she is the secondary member. I advised my brother to...

Credit cards [ 7 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to close credit cards? I have three credit cards and now, it is eating up half my salary and I struggle to pay the minimum balance too. I agree I should not have taken it in the first place, but now that I have, I am seeking advise to close it. Please advice

View more questions Search