Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peter0995 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2005, 01:03 PM
    Crypt Wirless Network
    Hey,
    I have crypt my wirlessnetwork with password, but I don't know the password of the network.Please.
    How can I change the password or use the network without the password ?
    Plzz help me A.S.A.P
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 3, 2005, 02:46 PM
    If the ONLY thing you have forgotten is the wireless password then it can be changed.

Just log on to your router as normal and go into the wireless setup and change it here.

If you can't remember the routers password, then you'll have to do a reset on it and start again from scratch.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 4, 2005, 12:44 PM
    DSL flat with WLAN - how to??
    I know absolutely nothing about wireless setups, etc. I now have a DSL modem with antenna and manual about WLAN. I have PC on the net, and will eventually want my laptop to use the wireless feature from the modem, so now I know who to go to for step by step instructions. Thanks. I love this forum! I have a Sony Vaio 17" - it has a slot for the card - is this where I will have to put it into and which one should I get? That was the first question of many... See, I told you I didn't know crap about wireless but sure would like to... Curlyben - I will ask a lot more later.

BossMan

Nov 4, 2005, 01:04 PM
    Chery, as you have a Vaio it maybe wireless ready already, let me know the model number and OS and I'll be able to advise better
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 4, 2005, 01:40 PM
    To Curlyben
    I sure will, as soon as I finish this project that's taking more time than I thought. Then I will be able to dedicate all my time to my 'baby'. It's only two years old and it did state it had wireless inside already - but I also took everything off and installed a new OS because I did not like the other crap I did not use i.e. quicken, works, moviemaker,etc to take up space as I use excel and NERO. So I am going onto the site and downloading all the original drivers for that model first. Then, I will be ready and contact you.
    The OS I bought for it is XP Home with SP2 which works fine. In the internet section of control panel, there are three indicators, to include WLAN, and when she turns on, she states that WLAN is not active in the task bar - so I'm assuming that she'll be ready and easy to work with. She's a GPR model with TV card also, but that won't do me much good as she's an american model and I live in Germany, but that's not the important issue. She is a dream, but only 80 GB, so eventually I will get an external HDD and also an external burner that does ALL. Right now she reads and writes plus and minus CD/DVD, so basically I'm happy with her and with your help I'll be even happier. Thanks again.

P.S. As soon as I'm ready, I will send you the entire internal info so there will be no guessing of her capabilities for you. My siw.exe program gives all information. I'm 55 and I know there are people that can do all this for me but I am a DIMS (do it myself sister) - always have been.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply! Will get back with you soon.
    BossMan

Nov 4, 2005, 01:43 PM
    No worries when you're ready.

I subscribe to the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2005, 01:43 PM
    Chery,
    Wireless capability is hardware. If your Vaio has a wireless NIC, its probably built into the motherboard so you can't remove it. But unless you are near a wireless access point (WAP or hotspot) there is nothing to connect to.

You would need to get a wireless broadband router to be able to roam around with the laptop. Its great to have that capability. I've used my lappy in my hammock in my backyard, lounging on my couch in my living room, even using it when nature called rather than stop what I was doing on the computer.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 4, 2005, 02:00 PM
    OK, Scott, now it's your turn to educate me. What the heck is a NIC and WAP or hotspot? If I have a PC that's connected to a DSL modem with WLAN capabilities (Fritz DSL + WLAN), and my Internet Provider claims that I can use WLAN, what else do I need to know? Does this mean like a certain area that has better 'reception' or what? If you have the time I'd really like that explained, as I love to learn and am not ashamed to admit it when there is something I don't know, as technology has advanced a lot since my last administation job in working with servers and unix. I also learned DOS, dBaseIII Plus all by myself at home, and wrote all my own progs in GWBasic many many years ago, but this new stuff, if you don't work with it every day, it's hard to just pick up fast, especially when I don't have my young crew from work to bounce these things around with anymore - so now it's all just me.

TTFN - Chery
    BossMan

Nov 4, 2005, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    OK, Scott, now it's your turn to educate me. What the heck is a NIC and WAP or hotspot? If I have a PC that's connected to a DSL modem with WLAN capabilities (Fritz DSL + WLAN), and my Internet Provider claims that I can use WLAN, what else do I need to know? Does this mean like a certain area that has better 'reception' or what? If you have the time I'd really like that explained, as I love to learn and am not ashamed to admit it when there is something I don't know, as technology has advanced a lot since my last administation job in working with servers and unix. I also learned DOS, dBaseIII Plus all by myself at home, and wrote all my own progs in GWBasic many many years ago, but this new stuff, if you don't work with it every day, it's hard to just pick up fast, especially when I don't have my young crew from work to bounce these things around with anymore - so now it's all just me.

TTFN - Chery

LOL OK
    NIC - Network Interface Card
    WAP - Wireless Access Point similar to a Hotspot.
    WLAN - Wireless Laocal Area Network

Then of course there's
    WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy also known as Encryption
    MAC - No Not an Apple but Media Access Control, the physical address of a piece of network hardware.
    DSL - Digital Subscriber Line comes in 2 flavours ADSL (asymmetric digital subscriber line) and SDSL (symmetric digital subscriber line)

That should have confused you enough for now ;)

Try Here: http://www.webopedia.com/
    For more defs of pc's stuff

Have fun
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 4, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    LOL ok
    NIC - Network Interface Card
    WAP - Wireless Access Point similar to a Hotspot.
    WLAN - Wireless Laocal Area Network

Then of course there's
    WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy also known as Encryption
    MAC - No Not an Apple but Media Access Control, the physical address of a piece of network hardware.
    DSL - Digital Subscriber Line comes in 2 flavours ADSL (asymmetric digital subscriber line) and SDSL (symmetric digital subscriber line)

That should of confused you enough for now ;)

Try Here: http://www.webopedia.com/
    for more defs of pc's stuff

Have fun
    I will thanks, and yup yup yup, it did confuse me enough, will be busy in the webopedia tonight - at least I won't be bored!

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2005, 05:30 AM
    I see Ben beat me to the alphabet soup. Its possible that the DSL modem provided by your ISP is a WAP. If so, then you need to contact them about how to configure it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 5, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Thanks, both of you. At least I know where to get help as soon as I'm ready to tackle that project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wirless invention [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on an idea on a wirless device.But I don't know were to start to find an electronic engineer,or something.with remote frequencies?:confused:

How do I block other useres from getting into my wirless network? [ 1 Answers ]

OK here I'm getting confused on trying to set up a block from the other users I only just want 2 computers getting on my wirless internet.. seems only fair I am paying for it... I tried to set up to where it can only set up on addy to my comp... and this is the part where I'm getting lost... I can...

Network using XP(SP2) [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small workshop repairing computers and I am facing with the following problem: I have a PC which has two network cards:one card is connected to the DSL modem and the other card is connected to a hub.I am using internet connection sharing in order for other computers to be able to have...

Xp network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a home network. I have done everything I no how but the status says "Limited or No connectivity" I could use any help anyone could give me. Thanks

View more questions Search