Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anne21 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 06:47 PM
    word problems-quadratic equation
    word problems-quadratic equation
    Students sent flowers costing $20 to a sick classmate. There were four fewer students contributing than was planned, requiring each of the others to give 25 cents more. How many students contributed to the gift?

HELP!
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Let n be the number that contributed.

Let x be the originally planned contribution

You should get:

n (x + .25) = 20

(n + 4) x = 20

Solve these equations

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic function-word problems [ 2 Answers ]

Dieter makes a journey of 430 km, traveling 160 km by bus and 270 km by car. If the car averages 10km/h faster than the bus and the whole journey takes 5h, what is the speed of the car? I don't get the question.. can anyone help me?? :)

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Quadratic equation Word promblem [ 2 Answers ]

A piece of copper tubing 60 inches long is cut into two equal pieces. Each piece is formed into a square frame. If the total area of the two frames if 117 square inches, what is the length of each piece of tubing?

Quadratic equation Word promblem [ 1 Answers ]

As people age, their ateries lose their elasticity, which causes blood pressure to increase. For healthy average systolic blood pressure is estimated by P=0.01A^2+0.05A+107, were P is the average blood pressure in millimeters or mercury (mm Hg) and A is the person's age. For healthy men, average...

Quadratic equation Word promblem [ 1 Answers ]

The length of a playing field is 2 meters longer than its width. If the area of the playing field is 1200 square meters, fing the dimensions of the playing field.

View more questions Search