Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redheadedteacher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Medical career with a felon?
    Does anyone know if you can go into the medical field with a felony conviction. Asking for my hubby. He has a violent felony, over tens yrs. Old, been off parole for almost 4 yrs. He wants to go into nursing, is that a possibility?

THX,
    L.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 10:04 PM
    It might be possible, depending on the location where he wants to work. It does depend on the nature of the crime committed and what the laws are where he wants to work.

I do know that in the State where I live, people who have been convicted of certain types of felonies, can get into at least a few types of jobs involving the direct care of people.

What is available is a waiver program after a certain length of time from being on parole or probation has passed, and after certain other conditions have been met. Not every place has such a program, though.

I would check with the people who would be issuing licenses to nurses of various types to see what the options are.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 04:00 AM
    When I applied for nursing school we had to go through a background check. Anyone with a felony was not accepted into the nursing program.
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Oct 24, 2007, 04:18 AM
    I don't think so. Like J-9 said . In some cases before you can enter, they ask you to present ermmm what are those called again... like a copy of your juridical records or something that shows you are clean . Just like when you want to work in a bank you have to present that paper alongside your CV. I mean ethics are very important in such fields so they better be strict. Your friend should have thought about this before he committed whatever crime he did.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 04:22 AM
    I didn't have to present anything. My school has my social security number, birthdate, and name. They ran the background check on me. Hosptials where I live will not allow felons to work in them. PERIOD. Doesn't matter what the crime was or how long ago it was committed.
    Harvey1955 Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Oct 24, 2007, 05:55 AM
    I have a friend that became a RN in prison and he works everyday.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 06:06 AM
    I cannot explain why your friend was allowed to become an R.N. but I do know where I live anyone with a felony record is not accepted into nursing school.

Oct 24, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Shy, I wasn't trying to to explain it either, under certain conditions, you can have your record expunged (worth looking into in your state teach) my states board for registered professional nurses will just start doing criminal background checks in 1/08.

Oct 25, 2007, 08:01 AM
    I bet those nurses who were caught infecting babies with HIV in Libya were also ex convicts.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Hello red:

I'm a believer that there's a way to do anything. If your state doesn't allow felons to go to nursing school and become a nurse, I'll bet there are other states that will. If there aren't, I'll bet there are other countries that will.

Should he become licensed in another country, and puts some time under his belt, I'll bet he CAN get a license here. Maybe he won't be able to in every state, but I'll bet he can find one.

No, it ain't going to be easy. But, nobody said it would.

excon

Oct 25, 2007, 08:40 AM
    excon you are being very subjective. I understand that everyone has the right to a second chance but... within limits.
    I don't know what crime you had committed, but I wouldn't exactly appreciate say if a doc who has been known to chop off people and stack them in traveling suitcases or take out organs from his patients to sell them on the black market etc.. To operate on me! And that in any country!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by edzmedz
    excon u are being very subjective..... but i wouldn't exactly appreciate say if a doc who has been known to chop off people and stack them in traveling suitcases or take out organs from his patients to sell them on the black market etc.. to operate on me! and that in any country!
    Hello ed:

I'm here to BE subjective.

This isn't about whether you approve of the process. It's about the process itself.

You certainly have the right to ask your medical team about themselves. And I would too, given that I believe my scenario above is entirely plausible.

excon

Oct 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Teach, if you just Google Registered Nurse felony you'll get load of info. Good luck. I think everyone deserves a second chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a felon go to the uk [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were planing to go to london for my b day next year I was wondering if conficted felons can go to the uk

I am a felon what now! [ 21 Answers ]

I just got a grand larceny class c I never stole from my company or anything like that or even customers but it did happen. Right now I am sorting trash 12 hours a day at a plant. I can't do that forever what college degrees are profitable with a felony record? Oh I am 19 now

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Felon in need [ 5 Answers ]

10 years ago todate I committed a crime... convicted of dealing drugs in 1997 I received a FELONY... now I have 6 children and need desperatly to provide for my family the best way I know how... with what ever opportunity provides the best means. I think a chance in the trucking industry would...

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search