Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msilva76 Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Oct 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
    HIV in the workplace
    I have a friend that is HIV positive and is in big denial.This friend of mine wenk to work at a local fast food place which he didn't tell no one he has HIV Should I be freaking out over this? I no longer eat at this place. Should I let my close friends know not to eat at this place? Or should I call the fast food place and let them know?I feel guilty when I think about people eating at this place.
    andrea_louise Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Sounds like your friend does not want to face up to it his HIV status, must be scared and just wants to brush it under the carpet.
    Its not up to you to tell his workplace & he would probably be pissed with you. Talk to him and tell him straight what your concerns are
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 05:34 AM
    It's surprising to me that people are still not educated on HIV.

You cannot catch HIV like a cold. The only was you can contract it is if the blood or body fluids from an infected person comes in contact with the blood or body fluids of a non-infected person.

If your friend knows they are HIV positive, regardless if they accept it personally at this point, they have been told the precautions to take.

Here is a site you can read up on to educate yourself on this issue and become a better friend to your friend in need...

Know the Facts About HIV/AIDS

Oct 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Thanks for the imput but I know this person very good he could care less if he cut his self while working and he is also going around sleeping with women too he just acts like there's nothing wrong with him that its OK
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msilva76
    thanks for the imput but i know this person very good he could care less if he cut his self while working and as a matter of fact he is also going around sleeping with women too he just acts like theres nothing wrong with him that its ok
    Ok... so you, as a non-infected person... if you cut yourself, wouldn't you take care of the cut? If you were working at a fast food place, would you rub the blood all over food you are preparing?? No, you wouldn't... and what makes him any different?

The fact that you don't want to eat at the same place he works is ridiculous.

As far as his personal life... he can carry the same social life as you, as long as he is careful. I assume you are not in the bedroom to see if he is protecting himself.

You make it sound like because he has contracted HIV he is some freak of nature. What a friend would do, is talk to him and help him accept it... your actions are the reason most HIV people are in denial.

Oct 24, 2007, 01:13 PM
    No he does not protect himself because he talks about not protecting himself and by the way let me tell you what else he has done sense you want to take his side he got married to a girl had 2 kids with her knowing he is HIV and didn't tell her so now his innocent kids probably have it to and he is the type of person that would probably rub blood all over food if he cut himself so take up for him now
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Hmmmm well let's see... your OP was about a "friend" of yours that has HIV and went to work at a fast food place, and now you are scared to eat there and you don't want other people to eat there... you broadcasted your ignorance on the issue of HIV and how it is contracted.

Now if you want input on him sleeping around and possibly infecting other people... THAT is what your question should have been about... not that you are scared to eat food an HIV-infected person prepares.

I was taking no "sides"... didn't even realize there was "sides"... I was trying to educate a person obviously uneducated on the issue... not give personal opinions on what he "may" be doing, since you never revealed any of the other info originally.

So before you go chopping people's heads off... remember YOU asked the question... it's not my fault if you asked the wrong question... or didn't get the feedback you were hoping for.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 03:02 PM
    This is really silly now and if you are so that concerned about this person working in the fast food industry and doing what you purport he does, then call your state's health department and report it. They will investigate, as far as the fast food place. If he truly has infected other women, he can face criminal charges. If he did get married and infected his wife with the HIV, his wife could press charges also. BUT that is not your place to be involved in. Not NOT. Stay out of his personal life and take better care of your own life. Like my Grandmother used to say - sweep your own step first.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by msilva76
    no he does not protect him self because he talks about not protecting himself and by the way let me tell you what else he has done sence you want to take his side he got married to a girl had 2 kids with her knowing he is HIV and didnt tell her so now his innocent kids probably have it to and he is the type of person that would probably rub blood all over food if he cut him self so take up for him now
    You really need to chill out. We are only trying to help. We answered according to your ORIGINAL question, you added in the extra info later, changing the entire point of the post. Please be a little more respectful.

Oct 24, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Sorry if I mad anyone mad I wrote on impulse thinking about what he has done
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 05:00 PM
    In all honesty, what business is it of yours? Not to be rude, but HIV/AIDS cannot be transmitted through food. If his wife/girlfriends want to sleep with him, that is their choice.

As long as you don't have sex with him, share needles, you aren't going to get HIV.

You should really do some research on HIV/AIDS prior to convicting anyone.
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 05:30 PM
    I agree with J9 of course ;)

It is really none of your business... and I agree that instead of making him feel even more isolated, than I'm sure he obviously does, you should research the disease.

You referred to him as a "friend"... have you ever put yourself in his shoes? Have you thought about what it would be like to be told you have contracted a disease that as of now has no known cure?

This man has been told DEVASTATING news. In order to prolong his life with HIV he will have to take a cocktail of medications everyday for the rest of his life... if his HIV goes into AIDS he will have an average of 4 years to live.

Don't you think it would be kind of hard to accept that you have a disease that will indefinitely kill you?
    cody93 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I think you should tell every one that you know call the health department and where this person works so they can clean the building up its gross that someone knows they have HIV and go work somewhere
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:18 AM
    No, he should not tell everyone he knows - this whole matter is not for him to take care of. The guy who supposedly has the HIV should have reported this to his employer and who knows, maybe he did. You cannot go around causing panic. If I worked at a fast food place and handed you your french fries, you would not contract HIV from me.
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cody93
    i think you should tell every one that you know call the health department and where this person works so they can clean the building up its gross that someone knows they have HIV and go work somewhere
    Again, just as we have tried to tell the OP... you CANNOT contract HIV like the common cold :mad:

"its gross that someone knows they have HIV and go work somewhere"?? So what, since a person has HIV they should stop working altogether?? You really need to read up on the disease as well...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIV can it get in the way? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I have a question for anyone who might know but I will say that I'm very scared to ask. Is it possible to have a baby with a sergeant mother even if I have hiv? See the problem is that I was with a partner for 3 and a half years and found out that in the last four months of our relationship...

HIV,is it possible? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the window period for HIV to show up on a test? A friend had a sexual encounter with someone he had just met during a trip. I am not sure the number of times or duration of their affair. His trip was not more than a week and he had no contact with her since his return. He was...

HIV [ 1 Answers ]

How do you know how long someone has had the HIV?

Hiv and hbv [ 1 Answers ]

How do the possible result of HIV and HBV differ

View more questions Search