Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Young Jews and the state of Israel
    Hello lanzmen:

I read where HALF of American Jews under the age of 35 don't feel a kinship toward the state of Israel. They couldn't care much whether it got destroyed or not. To those of you who DO feel that connection, you understand how troubling this news is.

I suppose this was to be expected, and I'm not interested in debating why this happened. I KNOW why it happened. Young Jews went to college, where they learned the "bad stuff".

I believe this dynamic has HUGE implications for the future Israel. I think the flow of money and political support is waning. What's Israel to do?

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Other immigrants have come to Canada/USA and built their new lives in their adopted countries. Usually there is a reason why they left. It's no different here.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 02:47 PM
    I just heard the opposite the other day, they said that American Jews are moving back to Israel at a higher rate than usual

And this is what it was in 2003
    Hundreds of US, Canadian Jews move to Israel

The Bible says in the last days they will return to their homeland

10 Bible prophecies fulfilled in 1948 #7

Israel - The American Taxpayer Party
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Hello Need:

I'm not speaking about immigrants. These aren't people who left Israel. Most have never been there - like me. Nonetheless, in my generation and my parent's generation, and especially my grandparent's generation, Israel was a very special place.

It's got to do with the holocaust and 5,000 years of waiting to get your own country again.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
    I had a college professor explain it like this - the further away the generation, the less meaning is attached to what was significant to the first generation. This generation does not understand the "cost" - what have they had to sacrifice for their religion, being able to live in their own country - a promised country, what suffering has brought to the family.

When she explained it like that it made sense and you can apply it to about any culture - Native American, immigrant pioneer families, etc. I thnk of my own family and I owe the greatest debt to those who came before me. Their's was true sacrifice. I grew up hearing and seeing just what it took to get what we had.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
    My brother spent time in Israel, although not planning on living there in the future, as far as I know. I have clients from Israel and they seem to spend almost as much time in the States. I remember speaking with my sister once upon a time about considering the move. I backed away when I figured out how comfortable I have it here in the US. Also once you start having your own family it is difficult to just get up and move. At least that's how it happened to me. Now one thing in my family though is that we always have had a great respect for Israel. As I've gotten older the way I look at it is that if a door closed on me in the States, hardship or otherwise, another one is open to me in Israel.

It does trouble me to hear that younger Jews don't have a greater kinship to Israel. New York City has the largest Jewish population in the United States, and Las Vegas, where I reside, has the fourth largest Jewish population. No city, no matter how populated with Jewish culture, can replace Israel. But I do think the main problem is that the parents somehow didn't share enough of the heritage. You know like trips to shul to experience Shabbos services, High Holiday services, or even the joy of celebrating Hanukkah at home.

Israel's Ministry of Tourism has done heavy duty advertisement to make Israel more attractive despite all the surrounding conflicts. They have tours for non-Jews, but some that are specially for Jews. I think their objective is enticement to specifically promote aliyah. Also for years now there has been an ongoing program used by many synagogues to have your children's bar mitzvah ceremony in Israel. A bit expensive though.

I don't know that Israel will be waning in the future from US support. Others, like myself for heritage reasons, and the Orthodox communities whereas like Elliot and Dan are fervently observant can make up the slack. It makes all the sense in the world to support Israel politically and otherwise despite marginal Jews that have short memories concerning history.

Bobby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Orthodox Jews and Physical Fitness [ 9 Answers ]

Is there some reason in Jewish religious books that prohibits male Orthodox Jews from participating in promoting their physical fitness--sports, exercise, walking, whatever?? Is it against their God's law?

Support Israel? [ 4 Answers ]

Should the USA continue to support Israel financially and militarily?:confused:

Jews [ 18 Answers ]

Why don't Jews celebrate Christmas? And what festival do they celebrate in December? And what's that festival about? From Cocopops2311

Were Jews involved in Hitler's Nazi Party? [ 6 Answers ]

Someone on another board stated that Jews were involved in the Nazi Party. I find this an outrageous statement. I can hardly believe that other than a few oddballs, like in any situation, there was any serious Jewish complicity in Nazism. I need clarification from reliable sources. Thank you...

Why support Israel? [ 190 Answers ]

Why does the USA support Israel? What do we as a county gain from supporting them, when the negatives are so obvious and numerous? Is it political, moral, financial, romantic? Why is the existence of a Jewish homeland still important to America?

View more questions Search