Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    netlearn Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 08:56 PM
    Problem with network
    Hi I recently brought a wireless network and I am sharing internet via it, but I want to also share files. Can anyone help me because I seem to have file and printer sharing enabled, but how do I actually see the files from the other comptuer on my computer? What exactaly do I have to do any help would be great thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2005, 05:05 AM
    File sharing
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ebruary10.mspx

Scroll down to the heading "How to set up a wireless network".
    See if you have done these steps so far. Then, the next heading is "How to set up another computer" for file sharing.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Some more links. If you give us your Windows version, it would help.

XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
    More XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/quick_gu...le_sharing.htm
    Various - http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Make sure all computers are in the same workgroup first then share a folder on one machine.

To change Workgroup names: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...twork.htm#name
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2005, 07:46 AM
    Assuming that your network is setup properly, you need to select a drive or folder that you want to share, right click, select sharing and turn on sharing for that drive/folder. You then go to a PC that you want to access that folder from. Open My Computer and from the Tools menu, select Map a Drive. You then browse your network and you should see the shared drive. Select it to assign the shared resoource as a drive letter on the remote PC.

Look at the links LT and NEED included for more details. The link Fred gave you has to do with setting up security, not file sharing. Another good site for networking tutorials is www.practicallynetworked.com

Nov 4, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Hello, so to get things straight, I want to share my files from my computer (1) so that computer (2) & (3) can see them and share them. So I as computer (1) right click the folder or drive I want to share (I did this) and allow it to be shared (I did this). Is that my part over? So comp (2) and (3) should now be able to go into there 'my computer' and tools and click map network drive and see the folder I want to share? Because this is not happening right now, maybe I'm doing something wrong. On these comps I see nothing and the network path I try to find the folder on is not found.

Thanks for any help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2005, 05:35 AM
    You need to also make sure that File and print sharing is turned on for ALL PCs and that they are all in the same workgroup.

Nov 5, 2005, 07:20 AM
    Ok let me tell you a little bit more about our network at the moment, we are using belkin wireless, to share internet. This is working. So now we want to share files, do we need to use the wizard to setup something? As we didn't need to do this for sharing the net through belkin, which says u can also share files and printers and so on too. In this case I'm not 100% sure we have the network setup properly because we did not run the wizard or enter workgroup name, we just used the belkin setup wizard.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2005, 08:29 AM
    How about you try following some of the advice and steps given to you in thread? Have you done any of that yet?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 5, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Double click "My network places", either from your start menu or within "my computer" (with folders showing - View -> explorer bar -> folders) Can you see your or the other computers when browsing My network places? You may have to double click "entire network" "and workgroup" etc. Post back telling us what you can find (if anything)

Another thing you need to know is that with windows 2000 and XP workgroups, all computers need to have the same user account on each machine (with the same password)

To check this go into control panel from the start menu (possibly via "settings") and open the users & passwords icon. Make sure all computers have the same users and passwords on them.

Please clarify what versions of windows you are using.

Nov 5, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Yes, all computers are using the same workgroup name, internet is being shared fine, file sharing is on all computers, but when I try and map network drive, I can apply a drive I want to use, but when I have to select the folder, it shows none even though on my computer I have set one to share on the network.

Nov 5, 2005, 08:55 AM
    Sorry I am using XP, I'm am just going to try this, to make sure I'm doing the right thing, so on computer (1) the username and password needs to be the same as on comp (2) and on comp (3).

Nov 5, 2005, 08:59 AM
    It helps yes!

Nov 5, 2005, 09:14 AM
    Ok so I have just made the user and pass the same on all computers, and all computers are logged into that account. And to answer what I see when I try and map the network drive

My network places
    - Entire netowork
    - Microsoft windows network
    - Home
    - (nothing else under home (which is the name of the network group)

Nov 5, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Right, I need you to post with the IP address and subnet mask of all your computers. To find this, right click " my network places" and select "properties", then Right click your network connection (wireless in this case, but normally "Local area Connection") and click properties. Then select the TCP/IP and click the properties button. This will either tell you that the computers are set to automatic, or there will be numbers in the boxes.

Post back with the settings for each one.

Nov 5, 2005, 10:47 AM
    Comp (1) the main one with the router is set to automatic using

IP: 192.168.2.2
    Sub mask: 255.255.255.0

Comp (2)

IP: 192.168.2.3

Comp (3)

IP: 192.168.2.4

PS.

I notice on comp 1 the local area is what is being used, on comp 2 is wireless network, local is unplugged it says and for comp 3, both using wireless network would this create a problem.

Nov 5, 2005, 11:17 AM
    Now, to check connectivity use the ping command.

From the 1st computer
    Start -> run -> cmd (& press enter)

From the command prompt (black window)

To ping computer 2
    Type "ping 192.168.2.3" & press enter

To ping computer 3
    Type "ping 192.168.2.4" & press enter

You can perform this test on all the computers, pinging the others using their ip addresses, this will confirm whether you have a basic connection between the computers or not (firewalls, can hinder this although the internet works).

Reply with the results

Nov 5, 2005, 11:32 AM
    Comp (2) sent 4 and received 4 when I ping, comp (3) sent 4 and lost 4.

Nov 5, 2005, 11:45 AM
    Do the same thing from comp 2 & 3 (try to ping the other two).

Assuming comp3 has internet access it sounds like it has a firewall stopping the lan access to it.
    Setup shared folders on all 3 computers, for testing purposes and check the network places to see if any come up under "home" workgroup

Nov 5, 2005, 11:57 AM
    Ok I forgot to mention, comp 3 has loads of problems, missing files and everything could this affect the network (even though internet is working on it). The idea was to share the files from comp 3 on the other 2 comps so we could format comp 3 without losing the files.

Anyway comp 1 and 2 are OK, so even if that affects the network comp 1 and 2 should still be able to see and share files?

I have asked to share a file from comp 1, and a file from comp 2 but still nothing shows in network places.

Also in my network places, if I try and view the workgroup computers I get access denied error does this have anything to do with it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network problem between 2 PC [ 3 Answers ]

To all, I have two PC, now I had link together to share a file.(did't using any router or hub between this two PC , just using network cable"workgroup"). One PC have dial up modem(call A pc) and another no modem, just only lan(call B pc). Now I want using B PC to connect to internet, it is...

Network printer share problem [ 1 Answers ]

This is my problem. Have a win NT 4.0 network. Working on migrating windows 2003 server network. Have upgraded 2 computer workstations from win 98 to XP pro. Everything went fine. One machine that was upgraded to XP uses a dos based program installed on the NT server which is shared. It is ACCPAC...

Xp network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a home network. I have done everything I no how but the status says "Limited or No connectivity" I could use any help anyone could give me. Thanks

Network problem [ 1 Answers ]

“PLS. HELP” I have a small business, and I run a DOS based program. (POS) on my computer. I added an additional computer so that the user can access customer's invoices, change parts on the invoice and update customer's data. The computer I added has windows98. The new computer cannot seem to...

View more questions Search