Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Nov 5, 2005, 12:06 PM
    You still need to test with ping from comp2 & 3!
    netlearn Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Ok, so I check all computers, the comp with 192.168.2.4 does not ping from comp 1, and from that does not ping comp 1. So basically I think comp 1 and comp 3 are not communicating. What does this mean I have to do?

Nov 5, 2005, 04:13 PM
    Hi, I'm getting somewhere, I can now see some shared folders in the network places. I have shared some files from one computer, but certain files on another I try to share it says "disk may be write protected or file may be in use" does anyone know how I can get around this?

Nov 6, 2005, 04:28 AM
    As far as comp3 goes, assuming comp2 can ping comp1 then it sounds like you have a firewall active on comp3 stopping lan traffic. If this is the case, disable it. If you're concerned about the internet, disconnect it from the router while you test. When you've disabled the firewall on comp3, do another ping test to comps 1 & 2, also test from comp1 & 2 if you can then ping comp3.

As for the other problem about "disk may be write protected or file may be in use", this could have arisen when you set the user names and passwords, here is a link to describe taking ownership of the folder you are having problems with.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2005, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by netlearn
    Ok, so i check all computers, the comp with 192.168.2.4 does not ping from comp 1, and from that does not ping comp 1. So basicly i think comp 1 and comp 3 are not communicating. What does this mean i have to do?.
    That is an odd IP. Generally, broadband routers assign IPs in the range of 192.168.1.x. For it to use a 2 in the third quartile would have to mean you set it up to use a different setup. Using a different 3rd quartile might upset your subnetting.

Nov 6, 2005, 08:34 AM
    The main problem now is sharing the actual files, I have the shared folders showing up now, I have even taken a few files from these folders, but more files say file in use or the disk is full or write-protected.

I have tried what Microsoft says to do, but I cannot get no success from that. The computer I am trying to take files from has got many errors and problems this could affect the way the files and folders are used and accessed? If so I'm stuck because the idea was to get the files safe and re-format that computer.

Nov 6, 2005, 08:41 AM
    If you're going to wipe comp3, share a folder on comp1 or 2 and copy the files to there from comp3!

Nov 6, 2005, 09:44 AM
    That's the plan, I have taken several files from this comp, but 90% of the files it says are being used or wirte-protected so I can't put them on another comp, I just need to find out what is using them or why they are write-protected which is stopping me from sharing them.

Nov 6, 2005, 09:48 AM
    Log on as the original user of the computer, and create an identical user account on comp1 - then you should have access to the files!

Nov 6, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Ok so does this user account need a password? Because at the moment it don't have one, if so I set the same password for both?

Nov 6, 2005, 12:12 PM
    Yes, its probably to do with the permissions set for the files owned by the original logon user. Either set a password or have none, but make sure they are the same on both computers.

Nov 7, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Hey, just to let you know all seems to be OK now, however there is one computer which I can take files from, but on that computer can't access the computer which is taking its files. Says access denied, I have set the firewalls to recognize the ip's of all computers and so on, what else can I do, because it worked for some computers but not for others.

Nov 7, 2005, 02:35 PM
    Its probably something again to do with user logons and file permissions. It's quite a tricky subject when you get in to it!!

If you can live with it, I would just use one user account on all three computers. If you don't need a password then that's fine. Have a browse on the web for NTFS, Permissions, "take ownership" and "Folder security". I'm sure that you'll find a lot to digest, certainly more than I can reasonably go into here (cop out I know :))

Good Luck, I'm glad you've managed to copy the files you needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network problem between 2 PC [ 3 Answers ]

To all, I have two PC, now I had link together to share a file.(did't using any router or hub between this two PC , just using network cable"workgroup"). One PC have dial up modem(call A pc) and another no modem, just only lan(call B pc). Now I want using B PC to connect to internet, it is...

Network printer share problem [ 1 Answers ]

This is my problem. Have a win NT 4.0 network. Working on migrating windows 2003 server network. Have upgraded 2 computer workstations from win 98 to XP pro. Everything went fine. One machine that was upgraded to XP uses a dos based program installed on the NT server which is shared. It is ACCPAC...

Xp network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a home network. I have done everything I no how but the status says "Limited or No connectivity" I could use any help anyone could give me. Thanks

Network problem [ 1 Answers ]

“PLS. HELP” I have a small business, and I run a DOS based program. (POS) on my computer. I added an additional computer so that the user can access customer's invoices, change parts on the invoice and update customer's data. The computer I added has windows98. The new computer cannot seem to...

View more questions Search