Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jshook525 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Installing over the range microwave with old vent
    Helo!

We want to install an over the range microwave, where an old double oven GE range used to be. The cabinet above the new range has a huge hole with part of the old vent coming out. We are not sure what to do about this hole, or if a vent will be needed for a new microwave going in. We have an electrician coming to install the correct outlets for both microwave and range, as the old one was just wires coming out of the wall. Thanks!
    maya07 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 23, 2007, 05:44 PM
    You will need an metal adapter that you can purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Go to the appliance dept. and as the staff where to locate the adapter, they will
    Know what exactly you are in need of. Cost should be under 10.00. Are you planning
    On installing yourself ? If so also purchase some metal duck tape to seal the
    Junction of the new part to the existing housing in the cabinet.
    jshook525 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maya07
    You will need an metal adapter that you can purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Go to the appliance dept. and as the staff where to locate the adapter, they will
    know what exactly you are in need of. Cost should be under 10.00. Are you planning
    on installing yourself ? If so also purchase some metal duck tape to seal the
    junction of the new part to the existing housing in the cabinet.
    What type of metal adapter? Does this cover up the old vent? The hole is approximately one foot by 8 inches long. What will this adapter do? Thanks for the help! I am installing myself, hopefully.
    maya07 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Nov 6, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Once again go to Lowe's or Home Depot ask an associate in the appliance department
    For the adapter they will know exactly what you are in need of. It does not cover the old vent
    It is a piece of metal housing that that is an adapter between the microwave exhaust
    And the existing metal tube housing that vents to the roof. Hope this helps.
    canonsen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jshook525
    Helo!

We want to install an over the range microwave, where an old double oven GE range used to be. The cabinet above the new range has a huge hole with part of the old vent coming out. We are not sure what to do about this hole, or if a vent will be needed for a new microwave going in. We have an electrician coming to install the correct outlets for both microwave and range, as the old one was just wires coming out of the wall. Thanks!
    You need to check that the vent on the mw lines up with the vent in the wall. Otherwsie the adapter won't work. Most mw's come w/ an adapter that has a damper in it. The damper will keep outside air from coming into the house through the mw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a space saver microwave over a range [ 4 Answers ]

I need to install a microwave spacesaver above the range. What kit would I need to purchase to install the microwave (GE brand) and also if it is to be attached to the bottom of the cabinet with the rear being attached to the sheetrock (wall) what would I need to set up the exhaust?

Installing range microwave over island counter. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a microwave over our stove, which happens to be on an island. I was told you cannot do this. I am not going to be using a standard cabinet. I will be building the cabinet entirely out of 3/4 material (to include the back), everything will be srcewed and glued together. I will...

Over the range microwave [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently in the process of upgrading the appliances in my kitchen. I was wondering what the minimum distance between the top of the range and the bottom of the over the range microwave would be. Also as a side note, I am curious as to what major appliances require an extended warranty? ...

Installing an Over the Range microwave [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to install an over the range microwave, but the area I have to work with is only 13" from the bottom of my cupboard to the top of my range. Any ideas?? Nancy:

View more questions Search