Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:41 AM
    The Dalai Lama's vision
    The Dalai Lama's "Vision of a Compassionate Future"
    What do you think? Visionary and inspiring? Naïve and unrealistic? Delusional and dangerous? What?

Excerpts:
    Many people today agree that we need to reduce violence in our society. If we are truly serious about this, we must deal with the roots of violence, particularly those that exist within each of us. We need to embrace "inner disarmament," reducing our own emotions of suspicion, hatred and hostility toward our brothers and sisters.
    Many of the problems we confront today are our own creation. I believe that one of the root causes of these manmade problems is the inability of humans to control their agitated minds and hearts -- an area in which the teachings of the world's great religions have much to offer.
    I do not mean to suggest that religion is indispensable to a sound ethical way of life, or for that matter to genuine happiness. In the end, whether one is a believer or a nonbeliever, what matters is that one be a good, kind and warmhearted person. A deep sense of caring for others, based on a profound sense of interconnection, is the essence of the teachings of all great religions of the world. In my travels, I always consider my foremost mission to be the promotion of basic human qualities of goodness -- the need for and appreciation of the value of love, our natural capacity for compassion and the need for genuine fellow feeling. No matter how new the face or how different the dress and behavior, there is no significant division between us and other people.
    This blue planet of ours is the most delightful habitat we know. Its life is our life, its future our future. Now Mother Nature is telling us to cooperate. In the face of such global problems as the greenhouse effect and the deterioration of the ozone layer, individual organizations and single nations are helpless. Our mother is teaching us a lesson in universal responsibility.
    Large human movements spring from individual human initiatives. If you feel that you cannot have much of an effect, the next person may also become discouraged, and a great opportunity will have been lost. On the other hand, each of us can inspire others simply by working to develop our own altruistic motivations -- and engaging the world with a compassion-tempered heart and mind.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Oct 23, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Wow... those things are something that the human society and peoples are in dire need of to learn!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Large human movements spring from individual human initiatives.
    Hello ordinary:

I liked that the best.

Excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
    I think there have been better Buddhist thinkers than the Dali Lama . I guess you can build a following by emanating happy thoughts and New Age platitudes. Westerners just eat this stuff up .
    The Dali Lama is a man who makes claims to the hereditary kingdom of Tibet ;appointed by divine right . As much as the Chinese suppress the Tibetans now, the Tibetan peasants were equally suppressed by the monarchy.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 08:19 AM
    The Dalai Lama is the foremost admired spiritual leader in the world today. From what you quoted we can easily see why.

He teaches how the world can be reversed and put on the road to peace... it starts in the individual heart, primarily... if like minded folks unite, the world can be changed.

*Teaching real action to power*... I think there are those who would think this is subversive, those leaders who teach praying alone, but whose actions are violent toward everything.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 23, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Like Tom, I think that there have been better Buddhist thinkers than the Dalai Lama. That is not intended as a disrespect of him or his following. I think he's a great man and an island of peace and happiness and joy in an otherwise turbulent, violent world. But I don't necessarily see him as a great thinker.

Here's an example:

He starts the article with a very strong statement about freedom. But from there he talks about an end to violence and finding peae within ourselves.

The problem is that the two ideas of peace and freedom can sometimes be contradictory. One must often fight for freedom. Freedom costs, and the price is most often blood. The Dalai Lama seems to think that freedom can come simply from having happy thoughts like Peter Pan flying.

Peace is a very nice sentiment, but tell the Chinese Christian peasant who is suffering extreme subjegation at the hands of the Communist Chinese Government that he should be "peaceful" instead of trying to attain freedom. Tell the Rawandan laborer who is just trying to get by that he should be peaceful in the face of the violence of the warlords. Tell the Ethiopian Christian suffering genocide at the hands of Islamo-fascists that he should be peaceful in the face of genocide instead of fighting back against the killers.

Personally, I think that the Dalai Lama is being naïve in his thinking. An example of a religious leader who was a better thinker was the late Pope John Paul II. JP2 pushed the idea of uniting to fight for freedom. He pushed the idea that freedom has a cost, and every right-thinking Christian should be willing to make a sacrifice for freedom. He pushed for Christians in the Soviet Union to unite for the cause of religious freedom against the Soviet government, even if doing so results in violence. Violence for the cause of freedom was not seen by him as a bad thing, but rather as a neessary price for freedom.

So I think that the Dalai Lama is being naïve. His thinking sounds good, and has nice feelgood undertones, but it isn't reality-based thinking.

In many ways, it is similar to how I compare liberal thinking to cotton candy: it looks nice and feels good on first examination, but as you get into it more you find that it is mostly fluff and hot air, and isn't really any good for you.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Bashing a holy man who talks of peace... BWAH HA H A HA... then, tying him to American politics. Total desperation.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Bashing a holy man who talks of peace.....BWAH HA H A HA...then, tying him to American politics. Total desperation.
    I saw that and had the same reaction. They are quite pathetic.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 23, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I saw that and had the same reaction. They are quite pathetic.

"Pathetic" is the inability to intelligently entertain an opposing viewpoint without necessarily accepting it.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    "Pathetic" is the inability to intelligently entertain an opposing viewpoint without necessarily accepting it.
    Nope: Definition of pathetic - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    I was going for the 4th meaning, specifically to the 'cotton candy' part of the post. Demeaning others is what they do all day long.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 01:16 PM
    On Line Dictionary:

Pa·thet·ic /pəˈθɛtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-thet-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective
    1. causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable: a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight.
    2. affecting or moving the feelings.
    3. pertaining to or caused by the feelings.
    4. miserably or contemptibly inadequate: In return for our investment we get a pathetic three percent interest.

Bashing holy men is what is what pathetic men do. See aging men do nasty things like insult holy men is pathetic, i.e. invokes feelings of pity and sorrow for how low these men have sunk.

Oct 23, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    On Line Dictionary:

pa·thet·ic /pəˈθɛtɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-thet-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective
    1. causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable: a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight.
    2. affecting or moving the feelings.
    3. pertaining to or caused by the feelings.
    4. miserably or contemptibly inadequate: In return for our investment we get a pathetic three percent interest.

Bashing holy men is what is what pathetic men do. See aging men do nasty things like insult holy men is pathetic, ie invokes feelings of pity and sorrow for how low these men have sunk.
    Very nicely done.

However, I'm just curious if anyone remembers the question in the original post. It seems not, so I'll quote it here:

"What do you think? Visionary and inspiring? Naive and unrealistic? Delusional and dangerous? What?"

The question ASKED, "WHAT DO YOU THINK?" It ASKED for opinions, and possible suggestions were "naive" and "unrealistic."

In other words, it WELCOMED opposing or different opinions.

Which is more than I can say for you.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Very nicely done.

However, I'm just curious if anyone remembers the question in the original post. It seems not, so I'll quote it here:

"What do you think? Visionary and inspiring? Naive and unrealistic? Delusional and dangerous? What?"

The question ASKED, "WHAT DO YOU THINK?" It ASKED for opinions, and possible suggestions were "naive" and "unrealistic."

In other words, it WELCOMED opposing or different opinions.

Which is more than I can say for you.
    You are correct I apologize. The Dalai's comments are indeed inspiring unlike the megalomaniacal Bush administration and all things neo-conservative which are ruining America, its youth and its standing in the world theater..

Oct 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Chou,

I didn't bash anyone. I gave my opinion of his thinking on the issue of peace. It was given with examples, and it was done respectfully. I'm curious as to why you call it "bashing".

You have not given any reason for us to think that the Dalai Lama is such a great spiritual leader. You simply stated that he is and that the reason to believe so is "self-evident". Considering that I gave perfectly good examples of why it is NOT "self-evident" I find your point to be lacking in specifics.

Needkarma,

Aside from being a cheerleader for liberalism and fuzzy thinking, is there a specific reason that you agree with Chou? A reason based in reality rather than wishful thinking?

Both of you: it is a fact that the most common state of the human race through all of history is war. There has never been a period in recorded history in which a war was not taking place SOMEWHERE. To believe that it can simply go away if we "wish" it to go away, or that bad people will stop being a threat to freedom is we simply "think happy thoughts" is to ignore history. War doesn't stop because people wish for it to stop. It never has and it never will. And pushing the idea of one side being "peaceful" while the other continues to wage war is naïve, and in fact very dangerous. That way lies genocide.

So, while I respect the Dalai Lama's ideas on how to achieve peace in a utopian, ideal environment, his advice lacks applicability to the real world where even if you decide to be peaceful, there are others who are not. War will continue until that basic fact of human nature suddenly changes. And unless people are prepared for the probability of war, they are going to get hurt.

What part of this, exactly, do you disagree with?

Elliot

Oct 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
    You are correct I apologize. The Dalai's comments are indeed inspiring unlike the megalomaniacal Bush administration and all things neo-conservative which are ruining America, its youth and its standing in the world theater..
    Uh huh... and you accuse me of bashing the Dalai Lama?

Ok, got it. You are just a critic. But I'm insulting. Right.

Whatever.

Oct 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Apology humbly accepted.

I DO think that his words are inspiring, and certainly set a goal for humankind to aspire to. However, I also think that the current reality cannot be changed merely by seeking inner peace and tranquility. Humans seem to be the only species with groups that are bent on self-destruction.

Having seen war, I desire nothing BUT peace. However, having seen the reality, I know that worldwide peace is unattainable by humans. Remember, peace is not merely the absence of conflict.

That said, why the turn of topic to Bush? I didn't realize that the US administration had anything to do with whether one thought the Dalai Lama's words were inspirational or not. Guess I missed that part...
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
    That said, why the turn of topic to Bush? I didn't realize that the US administration had anything to do with whether one thought the Dalai Lama's words were inspirational or not. Guess I missed that part...
    Then you truly missed the whole point Choux and mine's posts.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 23, 2007, 02:34 PM
    I'll agree that DL's wishes and goals are admirable; and what human would not want inner peace, happiness and that we all just get along; but that is not the reality of human nature.

I disagree, and this is not a form of 'bashing,' with the Buddhist notion that a single human can be 'perfect' here on earth. It's like that commercial where the supposed Buddhist appearing guy rescues the butterfly, turns the turtle right side up but kills germs with an antimicrobial. Yes we should all strive to be "better." But for me, as a Christian, that means relying on God to lead me, not something I can achieve on my own.

Now this dos not mean that humans , in certain groups at certain times cannot go beyond themselves and use non-violent, loving means to achieve a goal. Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, solidairty proves this.

But what happens to justice? When, in the name of "peace, and tolerance" and the fear of pisssing someone off, no one stands up to evil?
    Would civil rights made progress if white people decided not to piss off a lot of their own and stay at home?
    Would solidarity have worked if they were not backed by a strong US and a determined President.
    Who would have stopped Hitler in europe or Japan in the pacific if no country had the courage and will to fight and win in the name of justice and what is right ?
    And then, which country helped re build Germany and Japan?

I agree that it is good to be humble, have self-control, be kind, and patient.
    And this has to be each individual's choice.
    No argument there.

But this has to be balanced with the reality of human nature, and the courage to do what is right and just.

Grace and Peace
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Had the Pope said the same thing Choux would've been the one dismissing his comments.

I find it interesting that no one addressed the paradox I brought up .Given his historical role he would be the oppressor. In exile he is a "spiritual leader" but without the Chinese occupation he would be the feudal theocratic ruler of the nation ,an absolute ruler by hereditary right .
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I think there have been better Buddhist thinkers than the Dali Lama . I guess you can build a following by emanating happy thoughts and New Age platitudes. Westerners just eat this stuff up .
    The Dali Lama is a man who makes claims to the hereditary kingdom of Tibet ;appointed by divine right . As much as the Chinese suppress the Tibetans now, the Tibetan peasants were equally suppressed by the monarchy.
    I saw him in Sun Valley, Idaho a couple of years back. I found him to be a sweet, warm endearing man. That was the best lesson I got from him. I did not find his words to be particularly enlightening though.
    Reading between the lines of the OP however, I think he eludes to the fact that we can be everything we need to be without the dogma of religion. On that point, I agree completely. Religion is nothing more than a tool used to control the masses. Every one of us has the full potential within us to be Christlike, Budda like, Krishna like or whatever we desire. We are swayed by tribal beliefs and warmongers that want what another tribe has though... oil for instance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double Vision [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause double vision after 6 hrs flying, the double vision last 6 hrs. not other symptons, just slight headache.

What would you do if you see a vision? [ 4 Answers ]

Dear All... What would you do if you see a vision or dream about someone gets hurt and you do not know that person but you feel responsible to warn him of what you saw... Especially if you are sure of what you saw because there are many incidents happened to you, which proved that your visions and...

4D vision [ 3 Answers ]

I want to devolope 4D vision As our world is 3d in space we develop 3D vision by experience with the help of computers 4D virtual world can be created and 4D vision can be developed. I have seen some papers and some hyperspace rendering programes but I am not used to them can any body help me in...

Poor vision? [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to ask if it can make a poor vision if a passenger is reading while the car is running? Reply.thank you

A vision in the night [ 11 Answers ]

Wakened by something that flipped my dangly ear ring. There was a white, misty cloud floating about four feet off the ground and about three feet from me. I just stared at it wondering what it was. After about one minute it moved off to the right and disappeared. Do you think this was a spirit?

View more questions Search