Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbrazier23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 03:37 AM
    Reduced Salary
    I am on a lesser salary than the 4 other people in my department. I was wondering if there are any laws stating that if I am doing exactly the same work if not some more work than them am I allowed to ask for an increase in salary to what my other colleagues are on? WIll my age effect this as I am only 23 and my colleagues are 34 and above.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Seniority also plays a role in salary. Unless you are being paid less because of discrimination, there are no laws to protect you. How do you know their salaries? Generally people do not give out this information.

I learned that lesson the hard way. My first full time job was with a credit firm that had a very structured salary setup. If you were in any position up to Branch manager, you were making the same salary as anyone else in that position. So everyone knew what everyone else was making. When I got a different job, I was put into a social situation with my colleagues and happened to mention my salary because of the environment I had come from. Bot were some people upset and I leanred then you don't tell your colleagues what you make.

Anyway back to your situation. I doubt if you you are being discriminated against for anything except seniority.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrazier23
    am i allowed to ask for an increase in salary to what my other colleagues are on?
    Hello cb:

As Scott said, there are no laws that prevent you from asking. So, I would. At best you'll be given a raise. At worst, you'll learn what you need to do to get one.

In the corporate world, doing a good job isn't necessarily going to get you promoted. Lobbying, on the other hand, DOES work. If you don't think you're going a great job, who will? So, I think you need to tell your boss how good you are.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

Credit card reduced balance [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that credit card companies will except a reduced settlement of your balance if you make them an offer if they believe there is little chance of them receiving the full amount other wise, if so is there a stencil letter on the web to use:confused:

Reduced Neutral for Subpanel Feeder [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am adding a sub-panel for a new cooktop and double wall oven. They are rated 9KW and 7.5KW. I already have 1" EMT run from my main panel to a good location under the kitchen in the basement (about 40'). I have some wire and a load center on hand that I would like to use if I can,...

View more questions Search