Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Asking for a shower
    I am not asking about a baby or wedding shower. I am getting ready to graduate college with a degree in elementary education. I have heard of people giving teacher showers and I was wondering if it would be bad etiquette to ask for one. I feel that it would, but if not how would one go about asking for one, and who would you ask? I do not want to feel pushy, but I am a poor college student without enough funds to do the things I want for my classroom. Help!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:31 PM
    I know how you feel having taught for many years and paying for so many things for my room myself.

My suggestion would be to drop hints to some close friends and/or your parents. Maybe others might have some better ideas, though.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Your right that does seem a bit pushy. But if maybe you could drop a hint to your mom, sibling or a very close friend. Maybe they would be willing to host one for you, after all you are doing if for your kids.
    I know I would not be offended if a new graduate hinted for me to host one.
    mitchellmom Posts: 22, Reputation: 9

Oct 23, 2007, 12:00 AM
    There is a way to do this without asking for a shower. Simply send a note home to your class's parents with a wish list for the classroom around christmas time. Just let the parents know that the class would like to have items x, y, and z to help with a, b, and c. Our school does it, and instead of the teacher getting 35 apple coffee cups, the class gets neat educational things that will make everyone happy. Most parents are very excited to get something the teacher can actually use, and relieved to have a suggestion of what to get for the teacher. This is also appropriate around book fair time. If you want to get started right away, simply send out a notice to the parents that you will publish "this week's classroom wish list" on your weekly note home every Friday. This way, the list does not get stale, and you don't have to foot the entire bill. Also, get some input from the kids... they will become your accomplices. Some parents are generous with time and will volunteer, some parents are generous with donations. Even if you are in the poorest of communities, the parents will uusally jump to give you three boxes of pencils or two boxes of kleenex, etc.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Oct 26, 2007, 12:50 PM
    I agree with the last post but it doesn't have to wait until Christmas. When you type up the supply list, add some items on the bottom that parents can donate to the class if they wish to do so.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Since you are about to graduate, you have not taught a formal class yet as a teacher. While I have never heard of a teacher shower there is no saying that there cannot be one. Since you are graduating, why not drop the hints there - in the form of gift certificates to a teacher supply place, wal-mart, etc. If you and you fellow graduates get together on something like this it might be fun. But be expected to return the generosity to others.

There are some school districts that offer grants to teachers for use in the classroom for supplies, teaching materials. See the following examples:
    http://www.foundationforocps.org/Por...nformation.pdf
    ORPSEF - Grants
    Teacher grants & other funding
    Home - Kids In Need Foundation
    The-APS.org/ Education / Classroom Grants & Donations

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The water in my shower will not switch from the shower head to the tub spout? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a small home, that I am getting ready to rent out the problem is I get water from the shower head just fine, but I get not water from the tub spout, any ideas?

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs [ 3 Answers ]

In a fiberglass corner shower shell. What I have is an old leaking rusted Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search