Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gilbert5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
    "Reaonable" administrator fee - mother's estate Maine Estate Recovery
    RE: State of Maine Recovery Act for Medicaid

I have been told by the State of Maine, that they allow the administrator of the estate to receive a 'reasonable' fee for estate administration. I am the administrator.

My mother received medical benefits from the State, and under their Recovery Act, the family home will be sold to reimburse them for those benefits. I am told that once the house is sold, certain items are deducted from the proceeds of the sale BEFORE the state either a) takes their full share or b) accepts what is left as payment in full. One of those items is an administration fee.

Can someone provide me info as to how to determine what is 'reasonable'? I have spent many hours clearing and cleaning the house of it's contents, preparing the house for a Maine winter, as well as filing probate and taking care of funeral arrangements.

The house is expected to sell for between $110,000 - $140,000. This info was provided to me as an estimate by a realtor and was done without an appraisal. When the house is actually ready to be put on the market, I will of course, seek other opinions as to its value. When listed, the State will receive a copy of the listing to satisfy them that there's no 'hanky panky'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 22, 2007, 06:47 PM
    I am not an attorney and an atty is the best source for correct info, but you may be able to get an answer by 1) asking the court or 2) reading the applicable law...
    gilbert5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I tried reading the applicable law, but right now the State Legislature has not published the newest changes to the Recovery Act, so everywhere I've looked it just states that very thing.

Probate Court is absolutely useless because the State's claim comes first, and that's all the court seems to be concerned with. They refer me to them and the State in turn dances around the issue and just doesn't give me an answer at all !

But thanks for replying !
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 22, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Then an atty is the best source for you. By the way, probate mattes can be quite complicated... and since you are the administrator... you may want to seek legal advice anyway.. . you do not want to be found legally liable for either 1) mishandling an estate issue or 2) failing to handle an estate issue that you should have handled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bypassing "administrator" for java [ 2 Answers ]

Here at work, I can't access anything that uses java because when I try to install java it gives me the error message about how I need to log on as an administrator... Now don't tell me there's no way to get around this... There are some programs that don't need administrator's rights... Like...

Maine Probate Laws. Am I an heir to my grandmother's estate? [ 4 Answers ]

3 years ago both my parents died.. Then in the beginning of March, I lost my grandmother and I am having a hard time to deal with it all. A few days ago one of her children told me that since there is no will and everything is going to be probated my siblings and I would be able to collect my...

Mother's Estate with Uncle [ 1 Answers ]

My mother owned a home in FL and listed my uncle as a tenant in common. She passed away last year w/o a will. So basically my uncle is listed as the first owner and the estate is the second owner. My uncle is willing to let me buy out his share of the home for the amount he put into it. I am...

Mother's Estate [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother passed away this past April leaving me a small amount of money in her will and leaving everything else to her 7 year old grandson. How long does it take for probate and my sister is threatening that I won't receive a dime. What should I do?

View more questions Search