Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 22, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Christians on: Halloween
    Christians: What do you do on Halloween?
    Im curious to know what fellow belivers do with halloween.

Everyone else: What do you think about Christians and Halloween ( What are your thoughts on why Christians don't celebrate it)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Some say to have a separate thing at the church so the kids don't feel left out. Others say that is still in an sense celebrating it. All religious holidays have pagan roots. I am not really into celebrating any holidays except the 4th of July.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Oct 22, 2007, 07:44 PM
    I don't have a problem with the tick-or-treating aspect of Halloween. I understand the history of Halloween, but if the kids aren't getting involved in the pagan aspects, then I am all right with it. If the kids what to dress up in a costume that isn't focusing on something evil or such and go door to door getting candy, I say that's cool by me. I do understand why my fellow Christians would not want to participate, and that's fine by me too.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 22, 2007, 08:29 PM
    We don't celebrate halloween. There is a Christian concert called Light in the Night that started a few years ago as an alternative. It being on Wednesday this year, we'll be at church for the family classes. We're going through the Truth Project.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 22, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    We don't celebrate halloween. There is a Christian concert called Light in the Night that started a few years ago as an alternative. It being on Wednesday this year, we'll be at church for the family classes. We're going through the Truth Project.

I don't Celebrate it either. Its hard because my friends are always on my case. And all of them happen to be very big on halloween. I made the desicison about 2 years ago when my youth group did a study on halloween. I never understood the history behind it and when I did I decided not to celebrate it anymore. This year, Im helping in a booth at my church's Harvest Fest.(Halloween Alternitive).
    speede5 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Our church started a food drive last year and we were overwhelmed with donations. They sent out bags the week before in the weekly flyers. We blitzed the entire city (pop 35000). In our church some people take their kids out and some don't, no-one is very vocal about it and we don't let our kids dress as ghouls or goblins, but we still run our kids around for a short trick or treat. After that me and the older one go and help with the food drive and it is really a nice way to do something good on a contraversial day.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 11:55 PM
    I ignore the history behind Halloween.
    To me, it means nothing.
    I don't feel the origin of Halloween is relevant in this day and time anyway - others still do and I respect that.

Halloween to us is just a time where my kids and I can dress up, act silly, eat candy, carve pumpkins
    And have fun together just doing something out of the norm - that's what I'm celerbrating...

For those who still read deeper into it than others and choose not to
    Celebrate (whether it be religious or personal) or those who choose alternatives, I say that's great too.
    We all should do what works for us and makes us comfortable...
    But for me personally, I enjoy that one crazy night out of the year spent with my kids.
    Not because of the origin, but because its something I can enjoy with my children.
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Oct 23, 2007, 12:22 AM
    [... We all should do what works for us and makes us comfortable... ]

Seems to me that I recall (Last weeek [yes a long one] is just now finishing up for me and I'm a bit groggy so I could be remembering wrong or a bit off with the paraphrase) a passage that sums up Let every man (woman too) work out his own salvation with fear and trembling.

I think AKae has spoken well. What is wrong for one may be acceptable for another.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 23, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen2grace
    Christians: What do you do on Halloween?
    Im curious to know what fellow belivers do with halloween.

Everyone else: What do you think about Christians and Halloween ( What are your thoughts on why Christians dont celebrate it)
    Being that Halloween is a pagan celebration, with origins and traditions steeped in false religious beliefs and worship, as a Christian I have absolutely no share in Halloween and completely reject it. Some may say they disregard the background of where Halloween came from and try to lighten it up by making it "just a fun time for the kids", and then these same ones will turn around and say how much they love God, but they fail to consider God's viewpoint on the whole thing. HE doesn't disregard where it came from and what its history is. God's view on everything associated with it should be what's most important to us, and the fact is there is nothing redeeming about a holiday mired in false religious beliefs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 04:43 AM
    When I was a kid, it was a safe, fun time, and fewer people took witches seriously. All the Christians I knew, freely joined in the fun. Now the manger has been banned from the public square and some are working on the Christmas Tree. How tolerant of public support of paganism should Christians be?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    ... then these same ones will turn around and say how much they love God, but they fail to consider God's viewpoint on the whole thing.
    Just to point out the obvious: YOU have no say on what god's viewpoint is. If people want to enjoy halloween as simply a fun dressing up and candy event then by all means they should have fun.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 05:18 AM
    First as practiced in the US, it is just a fun day for kids, nothing evil about it. I decorate the yard with scare crows, pumpkins and the such.

I give out candy to the kids that come around, and take my son out to get candy.

It is a fun day of pretending and dress up. No reason at all a Christian can not have fun and enjoy it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Good point, look at how many adopt the externals of Christmas without believing.
    -

Oct 23, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Just to point out the obvious: YOU have no say on what god's viewpoint is. If people want to enjoy halloween as simply a fun dressing up and candy event then by all means they should have fun.
    Actually, the obvious is that I DO have a say on what god's viewpoint is. I can read the Bible, it's right there, plain and simple what kinds of things people are to avoid... one such thing is spiritism. Halloween is based on false religious views of the soul, and its origins are steeped in pagan, spiritistic beliefs and practices. People can call it a "fun day just for the kids" all they want. They'll answer for it.

In fact, it can be likened to coming across a lollipop lying in a filthy gutter. The lollipop itself might be sweet, but nobody would want anything to do with it considering where it came from. The same applies to holidays like Halloween. It may seem "sweet" in the sense of being fun and enjoyable for the kids, but where it came from, its origins, are filthy and certainly nothing that would have God's approval on it.
    -

Oct 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
    All those innocent children going to hell. It's sad...

if it were true (which it isn't).

Right... I forgot... because YOU say so, it can't be true. Is that it? But then again, it appears you believe in the ridiculous notion of a burning hell, so I guess there goes any credibility there.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
    As Anderson M. Rearick, III says, "I am reluctant to give up what was one of the highlights of my childhood calendar to the Great Imposter and Chief of Liars for no reason except that some of his servants claim it as his."
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Run, run for your lives, the devil is everywhere!!
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 23, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Run, run for your lives, the devil is everywhere!!!!!!!

No, unlike God, Satan cannot be in more than one place at a time.

However, he has more than enough servants to go around.

Yet, for all their brashness and boasting, they cower and tremble at the name of Jesus.

1 John 4:3-4

3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Run, run for your lives, the devil is everywhere!!!!!!!
    Actually no, this is merely a lie many of his followers wish us to believe, The devil hisself can only be in one place at a time, but his followers, his beleivers and the demons that serve him can be and are many places
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 03:21 PM
    No Halloween celebrations here. I used to be big on Halloween - as a child and then as an adult (decorating the home and dressing up and handing on treats). But that all changed when my oldest son was in kindergarten - he was five. He went to school the week of halloween and just screamed when he went in the class. The teacher and her aide had decorated the room in spider webs, ghosts, devils, witches, even a cauldron with fake blood. He refused to go in the class. He told me, "Jesus won't like me to go in there." Now neither my husband nor I had talked to him about the correlation between Halloween and any evil or wicked or anti-Jesus. That came out of the mouth of the babe there. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

Since then, no Halloween parties, although we would participate in our church's alternative activities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old is to old to go out for halloween? [ 8 Answers ]

I was listening to the radio this morning and the people on their were saying that they think that trick or treating should be 12 and under. Im just curious as to what others think. Personally I think people should be allowed to do trick-or-treating up until I say about age 18. As long as the...

Too Old for Halloween? [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ten Signs That You’re Too Old for Trick or Treating 10. You get winded from knocking on the door. 9. You have another kid chew the candy for you. 8. You ask for high fiber candy only. 7. When someone...

Halloween [ 6 Answers ]

Well, it's getting close to Halloween and I'm thinking of paying a local kid to egg the houses of people that bother me. Could get expensive for the eggs, though. But wouldn't this be great for my mental health?

Halloween [ 3 Answers ]

When was halloween first started and why?

View more questions Search