Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
    While the word "Halloween" is a label for a pagan holiday, the word is actually derived from a Catholic holiday that coincides with the date. "All Hallows Eve" and "All Souls Day" start at sunset on 10/31.

It's like wishing people "happy holidays" at the end of each year. Halloween has lost it's original pagan meaning and is just a fun time for kids (and adults) to dress up and goof around a bit. Nobody really cares about it's origin any more.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 26, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyFairmount
    It's like wishing people "happy holidays" at the end of each year. Halloween has lost it's original pagan meaning and is just a fun time for kids (and adults) to dress up and goof around a bit. Nobody really cares about it's origin any more.
    God certainly does, and certainly wouldn't approve of it, even if people think it's just a "fun time". You can have fun in many ways that don't involve false religious pagan celebrations.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Oct 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Is it a sin for kids to dress up like cowboys, princeses, kitty cats, dogs, lions, fire fighter, and such? Is it a sin to go to your neighbor's house and have them give the kids candy? This aspect of Halloween is what I just don't have a problem with.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 29, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Christmas was specifically placed on Dec 25 so as to coincide with pagan solstice celebrations. Gift giving and praying on that date are pagan traditions.

Certainly we can find ways to celebrate Christ's birth that don't involve false religious pagan celebrations. Should we cancel, or reschedule Christmas this year?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Christmas was specifically placed on Dec 25 so as to coincide with pagan solstice celebrations. Gift giving and praying on that date are pagan traditions.

Certainly we can find ways to celebrate Christ's birth that don't involve false religious pagan celebrations. Should we cancel, or reschedule Christmas this year?
    Edit::::
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christ...th-146362.html
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2007, 07:34 PM

People are finding wys to not say "Merry Chirstmas" Instead they say "Happy Holidays"
    Most Christians don't like that. Same as Halloween, People don't like that we don't celbrate it. Or they think its strange.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Silentrascal, you make god sound like a dictator, like he put us on this earth just to reproduce and die. Well that's what I have observed from all your posts I have read in multiple threads. God does not care tha kids dress up. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he supported it because, kids learn about their heroes and have fun.

I think god has bigger things to worry about then costumes being worn, and familys coming together.
    xmissleviathanx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Oh shut up about God. We are all people. We are all on this earth together. I'm wiccan I act celebrate halloween as as a sabbat so the origin isn't exactly satanic. Pack it in.
    Hatterlet Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Personally, I always got insanely bored at the church parties where you could only dress up as something from the bible.

I agree completely about the Christmas thing as well. Most of the 'christian' holidays were merged with Pagan holidays in order to make them easier for the pagans to embrace when they were converted. Does that make them evil? No.

Halloween is just another day unless you choose to make a production out of it.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen2grace
    Christians: What do you do on Halloween?
    Im curious to know what fellow belivers do with halloween.

Everyone else: What do you think about Christians and Halloween ( What are your thoughts on why Christians dont celebrate it)
    Halloween comes from the term All Hallows Evening. Hallows is the Old English Term for Saints.

In Protestant countries the beautiful Catholic tradition of celebrating the Communion of Saints on All Saints Day and All Souls Day, has been corrupted into a pagan ritual which does not resemble the Catholic Holy Days at all.

However, on the night in which non Catholics and unwitting Catholics celebrate Halloween, Catholics begin to celebrate the eve of All Saints Day by attending Mass and praying for the Christians who have gone before us. This continues on the following day.
    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: All Saints' Day
    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: All Souls' Day

Sincerely,

De Maria
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Aug 30, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Just to point out the obvious: YOU have no say on what god's viewpoint is. If people want to enjoy halloween as simply a fun dressing up and candy event then by all means they should have fun.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

Aug 30, 2008, 09:50 PM
    [QUOTE=. They'll answer for it.

Are you speaking for God now?? :eek:

Aug 30, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrascal
    God certainly does, and certainly wouldn't approve of it, even if people think it's just a "fun time". You can have fun in many ways that don't involve false religious pagan celebrations.
    I bet God is thinking to himself... Geeeezzz people, quit telling others how I am judging them and take a chill pill.
    God knows your heart and thoughts and if you have evil intent or if you are just playing dress-up. Give God a little credit here.
    trumboc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 07:35 PM
    I love Halloween. It's also Reformation. Martin Luther 95 Theses on the church wall.
    I celebrate them both.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 06:46 AM

I don't even know why this is up for debate. It is a silly. Trick or Treat is for kids and they LOVE dressing up and having fun. Enjoy it. If you ask me EVERYDAY is Satan's day... it is all in what YOU do with that day. I say enjoy the fun and move on!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old is to old to go out for halloween? [ 8 Answers ]

I was listening to the radio this morning and the people on their were saying that they think that trick or treating should be 12 and under. Im just curious as to what others think. Personally I think people should be allowed to do trick-or-treating up until I say about age 18. As long as the...

Too Old for Halloween? [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ten Signs That You’re Too Old for Trick or Treating 10. You get winded from knocking on the door. 9. You have another kid chew the candy for you. 8. You ask for high fiber candy only. 7. When someone...

Halloween [ 6 Answers ]

Well, it's getting close to Halloween and I'm thinking of paying a local kid to egg the houses of people that bother me. Could get expensive for the eggs, though. But wouldn't this be great for my mental health?

Halloween [ 3 Answers ]

When was halloween first started and why?

View more questions Search