Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacobsonkarla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
    401K withdrawal age without tax assessment
    I understood that after the age of 69 or 70 one could withdraw their 401K or IRA money and not pay any Federal Income tax on this withdrawal even if the money that was placed into these accounts was pretaxed income.

Karl Jacobson
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Sorry, not true. You must pay taxes regardless of your age. You may be thinking about the required minimum withdrawals you must start in the year you turn age 70-1/2. These withdrawals are of course taxable, with the exception of withdrawals from a Roth IRA or Roth 401(k), which are tax free. Quoting from: Understanding the IRA Withdrawal Rules (Tax Guide: Personal Finance) | SmartMoney.com:

"Tapping your IRA, of course, means you'll also get stuck with the resulting income-tax bills. In fact, the whole reason your friends in Congress enacted the minimum withdrawal rules was to force you to hand over the government's share of your IRA sooner rather than later. If you fail to take at least the minimum withdrawal amount each year, you'll owe a 50% penalty on the shortfall. Of course, you can always take out more than the minimum and pay the extra income taxes. In fact, the IRS will be delighted if you do. "
    ernestmanning92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 05:57 AM

I don't know much about that but I found one good site which is helpful to you. Please check 401k withdrawal rules

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa holder with 401k, withdrawal, tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a J1 visa holder researcher from Korea, 27-year old single, non-resident alien for tax purpose. I have a several questions about my 401k and tax return and other details. I'm really desperate with lack of US tax knowledge and complicate situation. I hope someone rescue me and give me any...

Withdrawal of 401K before tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am 61 and want to withdraw part of my 401K to finish paying off some debt. How would I figure how much to withdraw if I wanted a cash amount of $38,000.00? :(

401k or ira withdrawal at age 55 [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted an early retirement package at age 53. I have a sizable 401k and company retirement account at the company which I worked at. Is there any way I can make a one time withdrawal from the 401k, or from an ira if I roll this monet over, before age 59 1/2 without a tax penalty?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure Tax Assessment [ 2 Answers ]

I hold a 2nd Deed of Trust against a property in California. The property owner is way behind and I've started the Notice of Default proceedings. The property owner has requested that we do a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure and that I not report this foreclosure to the credit agencies. Given the...

View more questions Search